Offline File Sync issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline File Sync issue

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. if not please feel free to move to the appropriate forum.

I have experienced this sporadically even before totally controlling the offline files aspect via group policy. I should explain. Just recently i made some changes to GP that would automatically make certain folders available offline to laptop users due to our folder redirection policies. Desktop and AppData folders. Prior to making this change i would have to manually set the folders up after setting up a user. Ok so the problem is this.

Sometimes, after i would choose the Desktop and AppData folder from the user's homedir, it would scan the folder and start synchronizing only to fail at every single file with an "Access Denied" error. I have checked all rights on the user's drive, the user is the owner of their directory and any subfolder. The user also has list rights from the root of the server. Here's the ODD fix. After emailing with M$ tech support back and forth for about 2 weeks with no solution, i tried to log in as a different user, one with relatively the same rights as the owner of the laptop. Go through the same process and then scan/sync would actually complete with no real errors. (just errors about .db files not being able to me made offline - not an issue). After that i would log in as the laptop "owner" user re-do the process and it would work. Then log in as the "temp" user and just delete the offline files.

So after i changed the GP to automatically make the 2 folders available offline i haven't had the issue. Until today. Updated someone's laptop and put them in the new OU. Logged in as the user, log off, no offline file sync. Reboot, gpupdate /force, logoff, login no sync, log off no sync. Again just for laughs i logged in as one of our test users, and what do you know, soon as i logged in, offline files started syncing. Then logged off, logged in with the laptop owner's user and it started working. I am officially lost. There really isn't much difference between the two users other than different rights groups, but those are for different shares. Nothing to do with the homedir rights. They are identical as far as rights to their perspective homedir. are concerned. Has anyone come across this anomaly before? Like i said above, Microsoft was not much help the first time around.

Any help is appreciated.

Ice

Re: Offline File Sync issue

No one has any ideas on this?

Comment

Sorry your'e not having much luck with this......

We run a different managment system here developed by RM. All on Server2003. We get similar problems all the time, but have a quick solution to it. It involves reseting the users profile and running health checks, which is a feature of the RM managment console, which integrates with the AD. I know there is a way to do this using ordinary methods, but I doubt you want to hear about, its long and painful.

What might help you though is the second part of the repair. We rename the local profile for the user on the affected Pc. then get them to try again. Issue resolved.

The problem almost always could be traced back to a MS Access problem
      incidentally.

Its not much, but you did say any help......

Oh, one more thing, so long as your'e using roaming profiles, try renaming their app data folder as well. (Rename not delete, just to test, if they have macro's etc they'll lose them. Its just for testing.....)
      Last edited by fergie; 16th July 2009, 16:45. Reason: another thought....
      MCP 2003, XP, MCP Exchange 2003, Sonicwall CSSA, ITIL V3

Comment

what do you mean by "resetting" the user's profile?

Comment

Thought you'd ask that, its like resetting a computer profile only for a user. Must admit its very handy tool, probably the most used we have.

(Over 330,000 users here) you can start to imagine.

Basically it cleans out the My Settings & App data folders and looks for corrupt elements, without causing to much disruption to the users. It's unique to RM I think.

Like I said, I was hoping Part two of the solution would help you. By renaming the local profile, when the user next logs on a new profile will pulled to the local machine.

Always rename, that way if it goes pear shaped, you just rename the original.

One

Comment

Thought you'd ask that, its like resetting a computer profile only for a user. Must admit its very handy tool, probably the most used we have.

(Over 330,000 users here) you can start to imagine.

Basically it cleans out the My Settings & App data folders and looks for corrupt elements, without causing to much disruption to the users. It's unique to RM I think. There is a way of doing it manually, if you google it, but I do not recomend it and have never tested it.

Like I said, I was hoping Part two of the solution would help you. By renaming the local profile, when the user next logs on a new profile will pulled to the local machine.

Always rename, that way if it goes pear shaped, you just rename the original.

One other thought, is the authenticated users group in one folder and not the other, or anything along those lines?

Comment

That's interesting. Sounds like a cool tool. Now as far as the profile goes. This user has ONLY had a local profile. Prior to moving to AD we were a Novell shop and for laptops they never had re-directed folders. There are some other issues with the OU where the user resides that myself and one of the network admins found out yesterday. This is a separate OU where we house our "Secure" users and it has different policies than regular users OU. Also their homeshares are in the same boat. housed in \\server\share\users\secure users\ which also have slightly different rights. I will speak with my manager when he gets back from vacation next week and get some answers. Thanks for your help fergie.

Comment

No problem, sorry I could'nt be of more help.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                X