First AD Setup, Please assist.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First AD Setup, Please assist.

I have been working with Active Directory management for a while, however I have never set up my own forest from scratch before. I have a domain (mycompany.com). I have setup a subdomain (ad.mydomain.com). I have contacted my web host to setup an alias for (ad.mydomain.com) to be my server ip address xx.xx.xx.xx. Do I need a dns server installed for computers to pick up ad.mydomain.com as my AD server? If so, how do I configure the forward and reverse zones. I am sorry I know this is a broad question, but I am a bit lost with my limited dns knowledge. Thank you very much for any guidance.

Re: First AD Setup, Please assist.

Have you setup mycompany.com as your internal Domain Name? Is this also your external Domain Name as well? Unless you have a compelling reason to make your internal name mycompany.com, it would be better to call it mycompany.local or mycompany.internal or even mycompany.lan (which would be my choice).
    Why have you created a subdomain?
    How many users in this domain?
    Do you have any branch offices?
    How many Servers are planned for this network?
    Have you run DCPROMO on the Server?
    What server operating system will you be running?
    Will you be using internal or external email?
    Are you hosting your own Web Site?
    What sort of security have you considered if you are?

If you have time, I would seriously suggest you purchase a copy of the following Train Signal Labs:
    http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-S...ining-P15.aspx

and

http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-S...ining-P16.aspx

These Labs will show you how to setup an AD Domain from scratch and how to get it right first time. It will also take away any mystery that DNS may have for you and show you how simple it really is.

But first, answers to the above questions would be a good start to be able to provide you with further help and advice.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What Exactly do you mean by internal domain name? Do you mean for the Active Directory server as in the domain name that locates it? If so then yes the ad server is setup as ad.mycompany.com
      Why have you created a subdomain?
      I created a subdomain for the purposes of setting up a subdomain alias with my webhost. (ad.mycompany.com resolves to my ad server's ip address).
      How many users in this domain?
      Approximately 10.
      Do you have any branch offices?
      I will, which is why I would like to setup the active directory to be accessible as ad.mycompany.com as mycompany.com is an external domain name with a website.
      How many Servers are planned for this network?
      Just one.
      Have you run DCPROMO on the Server?
      Yes.
      What server operating system will you be running?
      Server 2003 Enterprise
      Will you be using internal or external email?
      External
      Are you hosting your own Web Site?
      Not on the server, I have a managed account.
      What sort of security have you considered if you are?
      Using a server security suite from a local college.

Comment

An AD domain needs to be protected from the outside world and doesn't need to be published. You are hosting mail externally. Where are you hosting the website?

As Biggles has mentioned, you are generally best to give AD an internal name and it doesn't have to be relevant to your external domain name. However, you could live with your selection. Your domain name is a subdomain of your external Domain but the root domain name of your AD Forest.

Comment

I think everyone for all of the comments, however I am quickly realizing I may be in over my head at this stage. I believe I have left myself in store for quite a bit of reading over the basics. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the trainsignal series? It indeed looks very powerful, however at $400 a pop that adds up quickly.

THank you.

Comment

$400 is very cheap for the knowledge you will gain. It will cost 3 to 4 times that amount to get in a consultant to do the work and then you won't learn as much. You could purchase individual Train Signal Labs but by buying them this way it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

Either get your boss to purchase the software or get it yourself. It should be a tax deduction since it is being used in your work. If you do get the Labs and view them, then I am confident you will be able to setup the network correctly and get it doing what you want it to do. Plus, we will be here to assist with any questions you have.

DISCLAIMER: I am not employed by nor am I paid by Train Signal. I do review their products so I consider myself to be pretty familiar with their Labs, hence my recommendations.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

HAve to agree with Biggles here
              $400 is the cost of a one day training course -- instead you get a massive amount of material that can be a constant reference.

DISCLAIMER: Also a very satisfied user of Trainsignal
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

In response to the cost of the training:

Yes, IT training and training materials are expensive. The IT field is considered a "Professional" level field similar to engineering, medicine, law, etc. and as such the education tends to be expensive. That's the price we pay to pursue a career in this field and in most cases, the rewards are well worth the time and expense. I've been doing this for 10 years and I currently earn 3 times what I was earning in my previous field (copy machine repair).

Comment

After looking at some other material, I conclude that you all are correct. I will be working out a method to get these materials. Thank you for the recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by staticuky View Post
                    I will be working out a method to get these materials.
                    As long as this involves buying them from TrainSignal, good (note we don't really care if you have to rob a bank to do so as long as you buy legal copies )
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      As long as this involves buying them from TrainSignal, good (note we don't really care if you have to rob a bank to do so as long as you buy legal copies )
                      Stormed the central bank down the road, and just ordered Network Infrastructure. After going through that I will order the Active Directory material.

Comment

Working...
                      X