No announcement yet.

"Easy Administration" in a W2K3 Server AD environment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Easy Administration" in a W2K3 Server AD environment

I've gotten a task to set up an AD environment on a W2K3 Server, where the queue is "easy administration". And I honestly thought I had the "easy administration" part down (putting relevant shortcuts on the desktop of the administrator user etc..), but it's not enough.

Say you were to set up the server for a small business (5-10 people), that didn't want to spend alot of money on IT systems. Just a simple AD server with file / print etc etc. One of the employees (not so good with computers) would be managing this system. By managing/maintaining I mean all tasks related to creating new users / deleting old ones etc. How can you make this easier on them? How would you set this system up in a way that YOUR MOTHER could be the "IT responsible"? And I mean really point and click...

*Automating as many tasks as possible (Any suggestions?)
    *Practical example*: Making template users (instead of right click > new user, you just copy a template user and rename it)

I need more tips like these. Thanks in advance.

Re: "Easy Administration" in a W2K3 Server AD environment

IMHO, buy Microsoft SBS -- the wizards make the administration much easier than the standard tools, you get Exchange included and it is scalable to 75 users, with a migration path beyond that
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: "Easy Administration" in a W2K3 Server AD environment

Quest active roles - Using template set all the relavant info's and assign it to OU. When new user created, input will be only firstname and last name and creating mailbox.

Create Taskpad using MMC with minimum buttons and give it to the user