No announcement yet.

Built New DC, migrating local profiles?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built New DC, migrating local profiles?

thanks a heap for the guide "how to install AD on windows 2000"

made it a lot easier for me to get a functional DC up and running!

Ok a bit of background if I may..

I had a domain controller running on windows 2000 server. It was doing DHCP, DNS and had shared printers and a shared folder for staff files. 5 desktops and 5 laptops connect to it. Everything was working great! then the AD db shat itself, I couldnt repair it and I didnt have a backup

Note: yes, bad form, I will make sure I do backups properly from now on!

So I had to reinstall the DC.... welcome DC2

Installed windows 2000, got AD installed correctly. DNS/DHCP are working fine.

Ok, everything is looking good. The only issue I have at the moment is user profiles. I never had roaming profiles as staff always use the same machines (in hindisite maybe I should have?)

So on my desktop for example, I used to log onto DC1 as lesm-dhammond.

On the DC2 I re-created my user account with the same name - lesm-dhammond - thinking that I could just log onto the new DC and all my settings, desktop, backgrounds etc would be there!

Instead it has made a new profile called lesm-dhammond.dc2 which is a new profile.

I dont mind transferring all my desktop items, wallpapers etc.. that stuff doesnt bother me. But one thing is my email. If I open up my outlook 2003 client it loads the new account wizard and my old mail is not there, of course, as its sitting in my old profile.

I really dont want to have to export/import mail/contacts/rules etc for 10 people, as well as get all their pretty little icons and wallpapers transferred across.

Is there any way I can migrate my old profile to the new? Or does this require roaming profiles to be setup originally?

Could I simply log off the domain, log on locally as admin, then rename my new profile from lesm-dhammond.dc2 -> lesm-dhammond.old
    then rename my original profile lesm-dhammond -> lesm-dhammond.dc2

I dont really want to fiddle too much as I dont want to screw my original profile

any ideas/suggestions??

have the user login so that it creates the new folder and more importanlly the new sid. open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

your see a big list of sids. if you dont know what their sid is just do a search for .dc2 under profile list. select that sid and change the profileimagepath to their old folder. have them login and it should work. i would test on your system first before deploying this method.
    MCSE 2000\2003, A+

use files and settings transfer wizard located under start>programs>accessories>system tools (windows xp)
      or in the windows xp media

very good wizard

or use scanstate and loadstate from command prompt
      Good Luck

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
      the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!