No announcement yet.

2 domains on the same subnet

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 domains on the same subnet

What configurations are needed to have 2 domain controllers ( from 2 different domains on the same network)?

I guess i have to configure the 2 DNS Servers and the DHCP also.

Can you help me?

Best Regards.

Re: 2 domains on the same subnet

How many PCs and users are on each domain?

I know that each domain controller will have to be separated for sure, you might be able to run both DHCP and DNS roles on the same server as your domain controller. You could also potentially, run 2 virtual instances of both domain controllers on the same server using ESXi by VMWare. However, this all depends on the size of your subnet and how many nodes will be in use.

DHCP might be a bit tricky though, but I'm sure someone else can shed some light on it.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.
    Last edited by boondock; 3rd July 2009, 13:34.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

There's noting to worry about as long as the NETBIOS names differ.

You can configure two different domains without any problem. There can be two separate Domain Controllers, two separate DNS but I think that you cannot have two DHCP on the same network.

Pls check the following link.

You can configure 2 DNS server for the domains and of course you have to choose different NetBIOS names.
          On the same subnet only one DHCP can assigns IPs because the DHCP servers not sharing information (and DHCP cannot replicate with other DHCP)

As long as your DHCP ranges are different, no overlap, you'll be cool.

What ranges were you thinking of using???

Surely DHCP is not domain aware, so if you have two servers in two domains, a client in either domain could pick up an IP from either server?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Actually Tom does have a very valid point.

Well to be honest Tom is right lol.

Maybe the best thing to do is re-evaluate what you are thinking about doing.