Delegation Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delegation Rights

I've created a delegation group.. which has been working well. However recently my Helpdesk staff has said they've been unable to reset certian user accounts. Sure enough when I login using an account in the Helpdesk group I also cannot reset certian accounts.

My question is why is this like this? Same OU's.. only some users are not editable where others are.

Re: Delegation Rights

Hello There, what Windows Server you are using ? have you checked if it's not in Read-Only mode ? or protected mode ? Tell us a little bit of you current settings.

Regards
    Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kevin. This is Windows Server 2003.

How can I go about checking about Read-Only/Protected mode?

Comment

Hey there, in win2003 i dont know if that option is available. in win2008 it is, but anyway i think it's only to protect for accidental delete. So back to the begining. Thos users are in the same OU, but all of them are in the same group ? they are all member of the same group ? Is it always the same users that you cannot reset? or it's random ?

Regards
        Kevin

Comment

As far as I can tell it's the same group of users. For example: two users in the same OU. Both are members of the same 4 groups. The only exception is one user is a member of one printer group, while the other is a member of a different printer group. However one is editable, and the other is not.

Comment

Also if I view the Effective Permissions for my Helpdesk user, one account has all the needed permissions (List Contents, Read/Write All Properties, Delete, etc.) while the other account has only List Contents, Read All Properties.. and a few more.

This is the same OU.

Comment

Well, do you have only one helpdesk user? probably who created the user created with the wrong permitions?. Probably it's a problem beyond my brain. Let's see if any of the experienced user in active directory gives an opinion.
              Next time dont write a new post, just edit the last post and add what you want to say so that this doesen't get to big. Sorry for not helping you more.

Regards
              Kevin

Comment

hmm.. interestingly enough I found that "Allow inheritable permissions.." was disabled on the non-editable accounts. After enabling this setting, my Helpdesk account can now edit.

Glad it's working.. however why did this happen? And is there a way to check all the accounts or will I have to go down the domain one user at a time?

Comment

Well, what i can say, probably the way you ticked that option, somebody unticked. I dont really know if it's possible to do it with a group of users. create 2 ou 3 test users and see if it's possible...but i don't thinl so. Glad you solved it out.

Regards
                  Kevin

Comment

Just another reason why I'm restricting the Helpdesk! Thanks again for the help Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                    X