Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Total domain migration and many more.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Total domain migration and many more.....

Hello to all..
    This forum is like an online advanced kb!

I would appreciate your suggestions in the following case.

Old Domain Name: OLDDOM.local
    New Domain Name : NEWDOM.local
    Old Server name : OLDSRV
    New Server Name : NEWSRV

Old user name format: kyo (from Kevin Yost)
    New user name format: kevin.yost

All user profiles are roaming and stored on OLDSRV.
    In the Active Directory are numerous User, Computer and security Groups.
    On the server are numerous shares with different security permissions at each folder.

Well here’s the scenario.

Friday until 16:00 the company operates with the old domain, old usernames, old server.
    Monday morning the company must work with the new Domain, the new server and new usernames.
    The usernames must be changed, the pc’s must be rejoined to the new domain, AD migrated, the shared folders must be moved and securiry must be re-applied… etc….

Great huh……

Any tested working method?
    Or even better..
    Any tested fast working method?

Any help would be appriciated….

Thanx…..

One first question.
    Special services AD integrated? Exchange or something?
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

There are numerous ways you can achieve this.

I would recommend setting up your new domain on the new server, in a completely different forest.

Create inter-forest trusts between the 2 and use ADMT v2 to move all user\computer accounts to the new domain.

Then backup and restore your data (this will preserve your permissions), move the users with SIDhistory so you don't need to change any permissions on your data.

You will have to manually rename all the user account or you could pre-create a text file with all the info required and use a script to change all the info. (see http://forums.petri.com/viewtopic.php?t=3052 )

topper
      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

No exchange present at the moment.
        The old domain was individual
        The new domain shall be a child domain.
        Exchange will be deployed at a later time...

Comment

Clean domain creation it is the best way to go but you can upgrade to windows 2003 and then rename the domain name, the policys and shares and everything will be intact.
          The accounts like topper said must be changed manually or do it with one script (not so easy if you do not have all the accounts with first/last username).
          Everything will depend on your structure complexity!
          Then you have on this case:
          OLDDOMAIN.LOCAL and NEWDOMAIN.LOCAL

If you want to create a child domain then you will not migrate, you will UPGRADE.
          The root domain will be empty?
          If so all the thinks will be easy.
          Then you have on this case:
          OLDDOMAIN.LOCAL and NEWDOMAINCHILD.OLDDOMAIN.LOCAL
          Are on the same Tree.
          MCSE w2k
          MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

The new domain shall be a child domain to a new global domain in a WAN.
            The new domain being a child domain to the old, is not an option.
            By the way, can i via script, remove a pc from the domain, change its name and rejoin it to the new?

Thanx....

Comment

OK.

You want then one new domain root with one child domain with all the accounts and settings from the old one right?

Yes, you can remove one computer from AD, rename it and join to other with scripts. I am not sure if is possible to do all these thinks with one shoot. I must check that!
              MCSE w2k
              MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Originally posted by tech25
                The new domain shall be a child domain to a new global domain in a WAN.
                The new domain being a child domain to the old, is not an option.
                By the way, can i via script, remove a pc from the domain, change its name and rejoin it to the new?

Thanx....
                In that case, you will need to create a trust between the existing domain and the new child domain and use ADMT to migrate the user/computer accounts.

Computer migration can be scripted with netdom utility.

Also take a look at the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/its...mg/dcmtig.mspx

Though it's about NT4==>2003 migration, your scenario is almost identical.
                Guy Teverovsky
                "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

"You want then one new domain root with one child domain with all the accounts and settings from the old one right? "

Right.

Could you point me where to find example scripts for what i want?

Thank you....

Comment

Originally posted by tech25
                    "You want then one new domain root with one child domain with all the accounts and settings from the old one right? "

Right.

Could you point me where to find example scripts for what i want?

Thank you....
                    Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...s/default.mspx
                    MCSE w2k
                    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Working...
                    X