Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migration: Move a user from one domain (Child Domain) to another domain (Parent Domai

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration: Move a user from one domain (Child Domain) to another domain (Parent Domai

Hi,
    Please tell me the step that how to move a user from a child domain to the parent domain.
    Since if we move a user from child domain to parent domain
    The SID will change
    The UPN Prefix will be changed
    and Etc..
    In this case how can we migrate.

Note: i know that the SID can be maintained via SID History. What about the UPN.

And also please let me know whether any other changes will happen to USER other than this.

Thanks

Re: Migration: Move a user from one domain (Child Domain) to another domain (Parent D

Have a look at ADMT
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: Migration: Move a user from one domain (Child Domain) to another domain (Parent D

Hi,
      Can We use MoveTree.exe for this Scenario.
      Kindly Reply

Thanks

Comment

Use the Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) included on your Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM to move Active Directory objects such as user, computer, group, and OU. MoveTree should only be used in special cases to handle objects (such as contacts) which cannot currently be migrated by ADMT.

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...18(WS.10).aspx
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Have a look at a tool called MoveUser.exe

Here is a quick guide on how to use it:

Step One.
          1. Logon to the local system with and administrator account and copy moveuser.exe to C:\Windows\system32 (attached to this email)
          2. Join the system to the New Domain, provide Domain Admin Credentials.
          3. Reboot system

Step Two
          1. Logon to the system as the New Domain Administrator
          2. Start-->Run-->cmd
          3. At Command prompt type "moveuser DOMAINOLD\User1 NEWDOMAIN\User1 /k /y"
          4. Wait for "Command Completed Successfully".
          5. Logoff

Step Three
          1. Logon as user in New Domain

These are the notes I used to perform my desktop migration. I ran into no problems with this method. Some comments on this process:

1. The moveuser utility in combination with the /k /y switches will reuse the existing Profile folder and modify the NTUSER.DAT file for the New Domain. This preserves everything for the domain user. There is no need to move any data to a new folder.

2. The process will lose the stored passwords in the NTUSER.DAT file for Outlook and IE.

4. The utility will remove the OLD user from the Profiles List and Add the new user in Windows XP and 2000. It will also reassign the user rights for the local PC to the new user. So if FINANCE\Henry is an Administrator of the local PC then DOMAINNEW\Henry is given those rights and FINANCE\Henry removed. This is a small but big help.

Also found an article on Expects Exchange that mentioned problems with XP SP2 and a reg fix

YOU WOULD COPY EVERYTHING BELOW THE LINE - save it in notepad, call it "fix.reg" (Iíve attached the reg file if you run into problems)
          -------------------------------------------
          Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows NT\RPC]
          "RestrictRemoteClients"=dword:00000000
          "EnableAuthEpResolution"=dword:00000000

Comment

Dthorne,

Can you provide a link to where you got this from if possible and also
            the Moveuser.exe is used to map a user profile to a new account and I am not sure if the OP is asking for that!
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

You can get the tool from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displaylang=en

I used it the other week to migrate 200+ from a child domain to main domain (are setup is a little weird and the users had two accounts, one in child and another in main).

Sorry if this isn't the right answer

Comment

Originally posted by DThorne View Post
                You can get the tool from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displaylang=en

I used it the other week to migrate 200+ from a child domain to main domain (are setup is a little weird and the users had two accounts, one in child and another in main).

Sorry if this isn't the right answer
                That's fine and I am sure the info might be quite usefull to someone, but your post looks quite similar to this one: http://x220.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9110
                In which case a link to where you got it from will be quite nice.

Cheers
                Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                X