No announcement yet.

System State Restore Problem For the Domain Controller.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System State Restore Problem For the Domain Controller.

Hello Everybody,

I am trying to perform the backup and restore of a exchange server machine.

I have a machine with
    OS as Windows Server 2003.
    Microsoft Exchange 2003
    It is a Domain Controller which have active directory installed

I am using the BETEST (VSS SDK) sample code to perform system state backup of this machine as i want to backup Active Directory also. The BETEST actually uses VSS to perform backup and restore.

My backup operation is successful.

Now i have another machine with same hardware and software configuration as that of the above machine. Also the partitions and with OS partitions are same as above mentioned machine. It has same host name as that of the above machine.

At a time only one machine is powered on, in order to avoid conflict.

I am again using the betest sample code to restore the above taken backup on this second machine.

Apart from the other writers there are three writer which use custom restore method. Betest sample application does not support restore for the writer using custom as a restore method. So the file specific to these three writers are not restored.

Those three writers are named as
    1. FRS Writer
    2. Registry Writer
    3. COM+ REGBD Writer

As per some literature on net, there are few pre and post restore operation required for these custom restore writer specific file to restore.

After going through google search, there is a BURFLAG which is to be set for the restore.

Accordingly below are the steps i follow

1. Boot the machine in the Directory Service Restore mode.
    2. Set the BURFLAG to D4 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup\BurFlags)
    3. Perform the system state restore using BETEST application.
    4. For the three writers, for whom the betest code doesnt support custom restore method, i manually copy those files to the corresponding folders.
    5. Reboot the machine normally.

The machine is not booted and the error message is shown as

"Directory services could not start because of the following error: The specified network password is not correct. Error Status : 0xc000006a. Please Click ok to shutdown this system and reboot into directory services restore mode, check the event log for more detailed information."

When i again reboot the machine in the directory services restore mode. The error events are logged as event id 4007.

Please help me solving this problem.

Re: System State Restore Problem For the Domain Controller.

If I was you, restore to the machine on its own switch to ensure it's not on the production network.

With regards to the error, check the services and see what credentials some of them are running as. You could then look into resetting passwords depending on what you find. Of course, this will be on the test server that won't be connected to the production network.