No announcement yet.

File replication services issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File replication services issue

Hey All,

I have a DC (w2k3 R2 SP2) which has the following error: Source: ntfrs, Event ID: 13568

The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"
    Replica root path is : "c:\windows\sysvol\domain"
    Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:"
    A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found.

I think the issue was caused from a SAN connectivity issue, where we lost connection to the SAN. The SAN was brought back up and this server went through a chkdsk and truncated the USN Journal.

I have read about changing the registry to enable journal wrap automatic restore, but digging around found this which states this isn't recommended past W2k SP3.

I have another DC at the same site and was thinking maybe I should blow the troublesome DC away.

• Disable network access and run a "drpromo /forceremoval" and restart
    • Seize the FSMO roles on the other DC
    • Use ntdsutil to clean up metadata of blown away DC
    • Remove cname and A record in DNS
    • Remove from AD Sites and Services
    • Enable network connectivity and "dcpromo" server and add to domain
    Does that sound like a good plan? Should I try do a clean transfer of the roles first? Anything I missed?

Both DC's are VM's so I could snapshot or even clone them before starting in case of a worse case scenario.

What do you think my best option is? Anything from above or something else....I'm all ears.