Virtualized DC giving "Clock Skewed" message

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualized DC giving "Clock Skewed" message

EDIT: Our environment is 2003 functional and we have 2 2003 DCs and 1 2008 DC.

We are in the process of virtualizing our infrastructure to VMWare ESXi. We ran VMWare converter on our main DC this morning (this DC has all of the FSMO roles). We set it up on our virtual host machine, then at noon, disconnected the physical DC and enabled the NIC on the virtual DC.

Immediately, we had trouble accessing resources because the clocks were out of sync. I realized the clock on the DC had been set to 8:30 PM or something like that, even though it was 12:30pm. I realized I had forgotten to set the correct time in the BIOS of the host machine, and forgotten to set it within ESXi I feel pretty stupid...

Anyway, as soon as I changed the clock on the virtual DC, I was able to access resources again. But now I'm getting Application error 1097 saying "Windows cannot find the machine account, The clocks on the client and server machines are skewed."

I'm also getting error 1030 saying "Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this."

I'm getting both of these errors every 5 mins. As far as I can tell, everything is working OK from an end user perspective, but I hate the fact that i've reintroduced errors to our fairly clean event log. I'm planning on setting the correct time in the BIOS after hours, but from what I can tell, it seems like the virtual DC shouldn't even see the BIOS anyway. The ESXi time is set to the correct time, and I set the virtual DC to point at a government NTP server. Still though, the errors are appearing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Drew Green
    MCITP:EA & Messaging 2010, MCSE:S, CCENT
    www.drewgreen.net

Re: Virtualized DC giving "Clock Skewed" message

We are in the process of virtualizing our infrastructure to VMWare ESXi. We ran VMWare converter on our main DC this morning (this DC has all of the FSMO roles). We set it up on our virtual host machine, then at noon, disconnected the physical DC and enabled the NIC on the virtual DC.
    Need more info. This acts like a image based restore which is a huge error on your part. Did the physical DC continue to operate on the network after the virtual copy was made?

Also make sure the VMware time sync is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
      Need more info. This acts like a image based restore which is a huge error on your part. Did the physical DC continue to operate on the network after the virtual copy was made?

Also make sure the VMware time sync is disabled.
      The physical machine operated for about 30mins after the conversion was done. The virtual and physical machines were never on the network at the same time, however.

What is wrong with this method?
      Drew Green
      www.drewgreen.net

Comment

Drew, not to sound harsh, but did you do any research it before you converted? Have you taken any VCP courses or materials?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...al&hs=6j3&sa=2

In general they say it's hit or miss and not a good idea to clone a DC. Especially one that holds the roles for the forest/domain.

Did you resize the drive during conversion? If so it's possible you don't have a Sysvol folder anymore.

I wish I had more for you to go on, more sympathy even...
        Last edited by stamandster; 27th May 2009, 19:48.
        GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Originally posted by stamandster View Post
          Drew, not to sound harsh, but did you do any research it before you converted? Have you taken any VCP courses or materials?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...al&hs=6j3&sa=2

In general they say it's hit or miss and not a good idea to clone a DC. Especially one that holds the roles for the forest/domain.

Did you resize the drive during conversion? If so it's possible you don't have a Sysvol folder anymore.
          No, we didn't really do much research. My boss told me to do it, so I did. I did resize the volume, but it appears the Sysvol folder is intact.
          Drew Green
          www.drewgreen.net

Comment

Originally posted by dwtechnology View Post
            No, we didn't really do much research. My boss told me to do it, so I did. I did resize the volume, but it appears the Sysvol folder is intact.
            Ahh you're boss is one of those types, and you listened... ugh...

I wonder, since we've been playing with fire anyways, if you shutdown the virtual DC and turned on the physical box, what errors would rear their heads. Just for fun...

Anyways, the thing to do would be be to transfer roles off and demote it. Build a new virtual DC and then promote and transfer roles to that.

Comment

Ahh you're boss is one of those types, and you listened... ugh...

I wonder, since we've been playing with fire anyways, if you shutdown the virtual DC and turned on the physical box, what errors would rear their heads. Just for fun...

Anyways, the thing to do would be be to transfer roles off and demote it. Build a new virtual DC and then promote and transfer roles to that.
              We're planning on transferring the roles tonight anyway, so I guess we might as well build a DC from scratch after we do.
              Drew Green
              www.drewgreen.net

Comment

Here's some more information

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/144292

Hope it works out for you. Good thing this was a test environment.

Comment

Here's some more information

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/144292

Hope it works out for you. Good thing this was a test environment.
                  It was ?
                  Drew Green
                  www.drewgreen.net

Comment

I was being sarcastic

I'm sure it'll come out fine. You might still have some errors though. Better to get it done as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by dwtechnology View Post
                      The physical machine operated for about 30mins after the conversion was done. The virtual and physical machines were never on the network at the same time, however.

What is wrong with this method?
                      It's called a USN Rollback. You're reverting a DC to an older copy without notifying other DCs in the domain. A lot happens on a DC in 30 minutes.

Comment

It is possible to fix by doing a non-authoritative restore. But it's NEVER a good idea to do that to the role holders.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
                          It's called a USN Rollback. You're reverting a DC to an older copy without notifying other DCs in the domain. A lot happens on a DC in 30 minutes.
                          I was under the impression that the DC would detect it had older copies of the data and overwrite it's own data with the new replicated info.
                          Drew Green
                          www.drewgreen.net

Comment

Possibly, if you were not imaging the roles holder.

Comment

Working...
                            X