Computer Name Through Group Policy in windows 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Name Through Group Policy in windows 2003

I have a windows 2003 Domain with more than 200 clients. I have a registry key that can display computer Name with "My Computer" Icon on desktop.e.g. (My Computer TESTPC1). It is working properly is applied manually. Can anyone please help me in deploying this registry key in the domain via group policy. The registry key is applied under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.

You can deploy the reg key to run
    You need to create the reg file and then you will deploy the file in computer configuration policy / software settings / software installation.

You will need to create a ZAP to deploy that reg file.
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

If you run a logon script it can also be dumped in there. Use the /s for silent "install".
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Windux,

Windows 2003 does not allow me to install *.zap files. It is only taking *.msi files. Secondly how can I create zap file of a registry key. Registry key always asks for YES/NO option when installing. I need it to be silent.

Hi biggles77,

Registry key cannot be run in logon script even when placed in bat file. Reg key alsways asks fo YES/NO option.

Following is the registry key that I want to apply.
        =============================================
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]
        "LocalizedString"=hex(2):4d,00,79,00,20,00,43,00,6 f,00,6d,00,70,00,75,00,74,00,\
        65,00,72,00,20,00,25,00,43,00,4f,00,4d,00,50,00,55 ,00,54,00,45,00,52,00,4e,\
        00,41,00,4d,00,45,00,25,00,00,00
        "LocalizedString.old"="@C:\\WINNT\\system32\\shell 32.dll,[email protected],My Computer"
        =============================================

Comment

regedit /S \\FILEServer\Install\batch\filename.reg
          @echo off
          cls

You will see nothing with this script.

Publish with windows 2003
          here:
          http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324750
          MCSE w2k
          MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Originally posted by ahsan_h
            Windows 2003 does not allow me to install *.zap files. It is only taking *.msi files.
            Why not use ZAP files? Sure you can use them, ifthey're written well enough. Not better than MSI, but better than nothing.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi windux,

Thanx for the help. I am able to run the script through batch file on logon script but it only works when I login with a user that has admin rights. Standard user does not have admin rights to modify registry so the script does not work. Any suggestions?
              Thanx.

Comment

Use group policy to deploy the registry change:

1. Start Active Directory Users and Computers.
                2. Right-click the domain, and then click Properties.
                3. Click the Group Policy tab on the domain properties dialog box to view the default domain policy.
                4. Click New. New Group Policy Object should appear in the list of objects. Rename this Policy to MyComputerNamePolicy (or whatever you like). Make sure this policy is positioned directly under the default domain policy.
                5. Click MyComputerNamePolicy, and then click Edit to start the Group Policy Editor.
                6. Expand Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, and then click Registry.
                7. Right-click in the left pane, and then click Add Key.
                8. Paste the key in the text box, and then click OK.
                Server 2000 MCP
                Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi tonyyeb,

I have tried but it does not apply the key that way.

Comment

I am very stupid. How can forget this issue
                    tonyyeb - Smart guy
                    Well Done
                    MCSE w2k
                    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Guys,

I tried applyiing the reg key through GP but it did not work.

Comment

Originally posted by ahsan_h
                        Guys,

I tried applyiing the reg key through GP but it did not work.

Why not?
                        MCSE w2k
                        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Originally posted by windux
                          I am very stupid. How can forget this issue
                          tonyyeb - Smart guy
                          Well Done
                          Server 2000 MCP
                          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

ahsan_h,

I. I'll second tonyyeb with this tool: PolicyMaker Registry Extension. Satisfaction guaranteed.

II.
                            I am able to run the script through batch file on logon script but it only works when I login with a user that has admin rights. Standard user does not have admin rights to modify registry so the script does not work. Any suggestions?
                            1. Group Policy logon / logoff scripts.
                            2. Group Policy Computer startup / shutdown scripts.
                            3. Domain User logon scripts.
                            4. Local user logon scripts.

Type 1 script executes when a USER logs on or logs off. And it executes with that user privilege.

Type 2 script executes when the COMPUTER starts up or shuts down. It executes in context of "Local System Account".

Type 3 script executes when a domain user logs on. The difference is type 3 works on all Windows versions whereas type 1 only works with Windows 2000 and up.

Type 4 script: the name describes itself. It only executes when the user logs on locally.

If you want run script as normal user in admin context then CPAU is the right tool for you.

III. There are many ways to accomplish a single task. Have you ever tried bginfo from sysinternal.com? An excellent, customable, easy to deploy tool. Again, satisfaction guaranteed

Regards,
                            Teamwork

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
                              Use group policy to deploy the registry change:

1. Start Active Directory Users and Computers.
                              2. Right-click the domain, and then click Properties.
                              3. Click the Group Policy tab on the domain properties dialog box to view the default domain policy.
                              4. Click New. New Group Policy Object should appear in the list of objects. Rename this Policy to MyComputerNamePolicy (or whatever you like). Make sure this policy is positioned directly under the default domain policy.
                              5. Click MyComputerNamePolicy, and then click Edit to start the Group Policy Editor.
                              6. Expand Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, and then click Registry.
                              7. Right-click in the left pane, and then click Add Key.
                              8. Paste the key in the text box, and then click OK.
                              This will not work. The Registry section in GPO is for deploying permissions on the registry keys and not for deploying registry values/data.

You can write your own administrative template, if you want to deploy a registry setting via GPO.
                              Guy Teverovsky
                              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
                              X