Advantages of OUs over containers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of OUs over containers

What are the advantages of OU compared with container?

The first two things coming into my mind are, capability of applying GPOs on OUs and OUs allows creation of OU/containers inside it but containers allows only containers.

I have domain structure like below, with "My Office" as OU and "Servers" as container, I will not be able to apply any policies on servers container directly. So, I created a GPO which has settings for servers and linked it to "My Office OU" and created a security group and added the all servers to it and allowed the newly created GPO only to this servers security groups.

Are you seeing any disadvantage with this setup? For some odd reason I can not really convert "servers" container to OU.

test.com
    ----|
    ----|
    ----|---My Office
    ----------------|
    ----------------|
    ----------------|---Servers

Re: Advantages of OUs over containers

Containers are at the domain level only and are purely for tidyness. You have no control over them.
    I do not think you have been able to create a container called "servers" -- it is probably an OU -- what does the icon look like?

GPOs cannot be applied to containers, only to sites, domains and OUs (and of course the local machine)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

>I do not think you have been able to create a container called
      >"servers" -- it is probably an OU -- what does the icon look like?

For sure it is container only. I created it by tweaking active directory setting. More details at http://www.sitaram-pamarthi.com/2009...bjects-in.html

I am trying to find out if there are any downsides of creating policy like I mentioned in my first post.

Comment

Nothing like all the information from the beginning.....

OK:
        Upside of containers within OUs: Organise objects (type, location etc)
        Downside: can't apply GPOs below the OU level

IMHO, use OUs within OUs so IF you want to apply a lower level GPO later, you can do it without issues. You can also block GPO inheritance or set lower level GPOs to override the higher ones.

Again IMHO, messing with GPO permissions to block groups is the poorer solution -- fiddly and easy to lose sight of
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree with Ossian. You also have to figure if third party software will support you doing this. They usually also only deal with OU's not the container within the individual OU's.
          GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

I don't see any advantage to creating containers instead of OU's, especially since you can't natively create containers and doing so requires a hack.

Comment

Hi,
              For OU you can appy group policy & and OU is used for Delegation Control
              In Container that is default which you cant do additional information

Cherrs
              PREMKUMAR
              EMAIL REMOVED BY MOD TO PREVENT SPAM
              Last edited by Ossian; 3rd June 2009, 12:49.

Comment

Working...
              X