Connecting our DC's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting our DC's

Hi there. I have been tasked with connecting our 3 DCs together so that I can administer all 3 sites and users from one central point. Currently we have 3 DCs all serving their respective offices. None of the users or groups in each domain has the need to access resources in any of the other domains but I guess that will change once we get this in place.

So far I've managed to set up transitive trusts between the 3 servers, all DCs have secondary DNS sites setup and they seem to be retrieving the correct records but I'm struggling on a few things.

Namely, in ADSS I've created the 3 sites and have created the servers and the subnets but only one 1 server (the DC in my local domain) has any kind of NTDS settings. The other 2 are missing these and so I cannot setup any kind of replication. Secondly, in ADUC I am still only able to see my local domain.

I'm not looking for help in solving this issue but more of a checklist of things I would need to look over before investigating further. I have a feeling that everything is bolted together and maybe something just needs tightening up before the 3 DCs start talking to each other.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by MoifMurphy; 21st May 2009, 14:25.

Re: Connecting our DC's

If these are separate forests then you won't be able to. Trusts allow for the access of resources across forests but they do not "merge" the forests. There will be no AD replication across these domains as they're in different forests.

Comment

That makes sense.

So I'm not able to administer the 3 DCs from a single point? Currently we're remoting in via TS and administering from there.

Comment

You might be able to "connect" the AD tools to each domain but you won't be able to administer them "as a whole" or as a single "unit".

Comment

Ok, then that's the route I think we'll be going down. If I can find a way to create users via my ADUC snapin on their local domain and that user access to their local resources then I'll be happy

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
            X