Joining Remote Sites for a single AD.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Remote Sites for a single AD.

Have several small remote sites that run separately and are not currently joined in anyway. What are the advantages of having a single common AD for all the sites? Disadvantages?

I know this a very broad question but looking for experienced feedback. One line response will do.

Thanks.

Re: Joining Remote Sites for a single AD.

Advantage: all those of AD including single sign on, security, group policies....

Disadvantage: need either local DCs or very reliable inter-site links
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds like you are in a similar situation as me. Check out my thread here as it may have some good info for you.

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...936#post163936

Comment

Thanks for the response. The posts so far presented some ideas that should be considered.

If the users accessed information in other locations or all offices accessed one location then there is a point for such a common access format.

If the users do not access others locations and occaicionally share files between locations each month via FTP or VPN. Is it worth the price of hardware/software to accomplish a single AD?

Comment

The biggest impetus behind bringing our forests into one is central management. All our IT staff is at one location, so managing all the remote sites individually was / is a huge time sink. If you have IT support at each location, or you don't feel the separate domains are causing headaches then it might not make sense.

Comment

Working...
          X