Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving the roaming profiles storage location

Hi
    I need to change the storage location of users roaming profiles. They currently reside for instance on \\server1\users\profiles and I need to move them to \\server2\users\profiles
    Am I correct in thinking that a simple move (accomplished by getting NTBackup to copy the folders and restoring them to a different location) and a redirect from the AD account properties will NOT work?
    I have a feeling that there is a reg key involved somewhere that tells the account where to look for its profile info. I have searched for some documentation on this issue but it seems impossible to find any sort of comprehensive answer. Does anyone have any suggestions/experience of this?

Am I correct in thinking that a simple move (accomplished by getting NTBackup to copy the folders and restoring them to a different location) and a redirect from the AD account properties will NOT work?
    No, that is wrong, you are correct

Seriously, backing up and restoring with ntbackup is a fine idea because it gets all file regardless of permissions and restores the permissions as well. Resetting the profile on the accounts is the last step, there is no additional magic.

You do need to make sure that everyone is logged of when you make the move, but that is trivial.

Comment

You can not move the folders until you change the roaming profile path on the user properties.

You must have one script to make the change in all accounts first or you will need to change them manualy one by one

You need something like this:

strOU = "ou=Users"
      strDomain = "yourdomain.com"
      set objRootDSE = GetObject("LDAP://" & strDomain & "/RootDSE")
      set objParent = GetObject("LDAP://" & strOU & "," & _
      objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext"))
      objParent.Filter = Array("user")
      for each objUser in objParent
      yourpath = "\\server2\users\profiles\
      objUser.PutEx yourpath , "profilePath", vbNullString
      objUser.SetInfo
      next

Test this without problems it will change all the users profile path in AD.
      You need to change domain and OU and path.
      MCSE w2k
      MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
      MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Working...
      X