Exchange 2000 and the first 2003 DC in 2000 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000 and the first 2003 DC in 2000 domain

I currently have a single 2000 Forest/Domain with two DCs and one of the DCs is also running Exchange 2000. I wish to bring a 2003 Server online as a DC as I will be eventually be retiring one of the 2000 DCs.

I understand that I need to run ADPrep /forestprep and /domainprep on the 2000 server has the Schema Master and Infrastructure Master roles before I can run DCPromo on the 2003 server.

With regards to Exchange 2000, do I need to do anything to it before/after I run the ADPrep util?

I found an article that mentions something about running ldifde.exe with the inetOrgPersonFix.ldf to correct issues with Exchange 2000 schema extensions. Do I need to do this in my case? If so, before or after ADPrep? Is there anything else I need to do to prep my Exchange 2000 server before I bring the 2003 server in as a DC?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Checklist: Performing an upgrade
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...fea0eaaf6.mspx

Windows Server 2003 Supported Upgrade Paths
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rtedpaths.mspx

There's nothing to do with exchange. You need to prepare the forest and the domains. That will be applyed for exchange as well.

With this information you will be fine to do this job if you have knowledge of windows w2k environment
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Check out thefollowing KB for an extensive checklist of things to make sure of:
      http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;555040
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I went the exact same route as you last year, with 2 W2K DC's and Exchange 2000 on one of the DC's.
        I followed the procedures the KB articles provided and after I had my 2003 domain working properly, I upgraded to Exchange 2003. Very simple and easy, you shouldnt have any issues.

Comment

Re: Exchange 2000 and the first 2003 DC in 2000 domain

I am in a similar situation. Do we need to upgrade our domain controllers first? I am configuring a new server for exchange 2003. Should i install exchange2003 first or add a windows 2003 domain controller.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rflanary
            I am in a similar situation. Do we need to upgrade our domain controllers first? I am configuring a new server for exchange 2003. Should i install exchange2003 first or add a windows 2003 domain controller.

Robert
            Robert, please read the KBs that were mentioned.
            W2K3 DCs are not required for E2K3 to operate. You can install W2K3 after installing E2K3 or before - it does not matter much.
            Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your real scenarios and good advices. I also have a nearly the same upgrade situation.

I have a domain with 2 Win 2000 adv DC (GC too), and one FE/BE Exchange 2000 organization. Now I want to upgrade the whole system to version 2003. And I also prefer upgrading AD 2000 to AD 2003 first (mail-move upgrade Exchange then), so here I just mention upgrading AD 2000 to AD 2003.

I have followed all the links above, as well as reading some articles here and there. I find that most mention inplace upgrading DC 2000 to DC 2003. Some also talk about introducing a new Win 2003 and then move some FSMO roles to it, but not very clearly. Though inplace-upgrading DC 2000 to DC 2003 (so making AD 2000 AD 2003) is very popular and mostly mentioned, I still consider "role-move" upgrading DC (so AD, if any) 2000 to 2003, both in technical size as well as production size.

Role-move upgrading DC 2000 I mention here is to introduce a new Win 2003 server (sp1) to the system, promote it to be DC, then GC, then move the 5 FSMO roles (on DC 2000, better to place them all on 1 DC2000 before transfering) to the new DC/GC Win 2003.

To this step, I have 1 DC/GC 2003 that hold all AD 2000 user/computer accounts, and most of the old AD 2000 settings. It holds the 5 roles too. So, can I early tell the world that I already have a new and perfect AD 2003 in production, with smile on face ???

To the next step, I know I must make the so-called AD 2003 cleaner and more perfect. So what I need to do is to remove the GC role at old DC2000 (I have two, but I may remove one before introducing the new Win 2003), replicate, then demote this DC 2000 (not hold any roles now) to domain member, replicate, then disjoin it from domain. After all replication, the so called AD 2003 become cleaner, and more, I can raise the functional level to Win 2003 (forest and domain) since there's no dc 2000 now in domain.

To this step, can I tell my girlfriend that I really have a perfect Domain/AD 2003, with flower on my hands ?

And my last question: can I call this role-move stuff a kind of upgrading AD 2000 to AD 2003 only with moving the 5 existing roles away ? If so, is it better in comparing with inplace upgrade ? Should I love it that way ?

And more, If I can call it an upgrade, is this upgraded 2003 AD (with many old 2000 accounts and settings) different from, or worse than, a newly-creared AD 2003 (if that's the case).

I don't want to cry on my girlfriend shoulder after the upgrade. So please give me power to make her admire.

Thanks

Comment

If you ask me, I'd not involve the girlfriend in the AD upgrades, but if you insist

Originally posted by mspro2006 View Post
                Hi everyone,
                I have a domain with 2 Win 2000 adv DC (GC too), and one FE/BE Exchange 2000 organization. Now I want to upgrade the whole system to version 2003. And I also prefer upgrading AD 2000 to AD 2003 first (mail-move upgrade Exchange then), so here I just mention upgrading AD 2000 to AD 2003.
                That's how I prefer to do it too.

I have followed all the links above, as well as reading some articles here and there. I find that most mention inplace upgrading DC 2000 to DC 2003. Some also talk about introducing a new Win 2003 and then move some FSMO roles to it, but not very clearly. Though inplace-upgrading DC 2000 to DC 2003 (so making AD 2000 AD 2003) is very popular and mostly mentioned, I still consider "role-move" upgrading DC (so AD, if any) 2000 to 2003, both in technical size as well as production size.
                I do not like inplace upgrades. Inplace upgrades tend to make you keep all the junk that you collected for years on the DCs (unless you have a very strictly controlled environment).
                I am all into introducing freshly built W2K3 DCs into existing W2K environment.

Role-move upgrading DC 2000 I mention here is to introduce a new Win 2003 server (sp1) to the system, promote it to be DC, then GC, then move the 5 FSMO roles (on DC 2000, better to place them all on 1 DC2000 before transfering) to the new DC/GC Win 2003.
                Do not forget DNS/DHCP

To this step, I have 1 DC/GC 2003 that hold all AD 2000 user/computer accounts, and most of the old AD 2000 settings. It holds the 5 roles too. So, can I early tell the world that I already have a new and perfect AD 2003 in production, with smile on face ???
                Not quite yet... What you have is a mixed mode 2003 AD. As long as you have those legacy DCs it's not perfect

To the next step, I know I must make the so-called AD 2003 cleaner and more perfect. So what I need to do is to remove the GC role at old DC2000 (I have two, but I may remove one before introducing the new Win 2003), replicate, then demote this DC 2000 (not hold any roles now) to domain member, replicate, then disjoin it from domain. After all replication, the so called AD 2003 become cleaner, and more, I can raise the functional level to Win 2003 (forest and domain) since there's no dc 2000 now in domain.

To this step, can I tell my girlfriend that I really have a perfect Domain/AD 2003, with flower on my hands ?
                At that point you have native mode 2003 AD. It's perfection greatly depends on the way you have been treating it till now

And my last question: can I call this role-move stuff a kind of upgrading AD 2000 to AD 2003 only with moving the 5 existing roles away ? If so, is it better in comparing with inplace upgrade ? Should I love it that way ?
                As I already mentioned, this is rather cosmetic issue. The AD's functionality will be the same either way you choose unless you have some specific registry keys configured on the W2K DCs (like DNS registration related registry keys). The major benefit of introducing a new 2003 DC is that you get a clean install of the OS. If all the DC was doing was being a DC, then it's quite safe to upgrade inplace, but I am in general not in favor of OS inplace upgrades...

And more, If I can call it an upgrade, is this upgraded 2003 AD (with many old 2000 accounts and settings) different from, or worse than, a newly-creared AD 2003 (if that's the case).
                See my previous answer

I don't want to cry on my girlfriend shoulder after the upgrade. So please give me power to make her admire.
                I can only help you with your DCs, sorry

P.S.: Next time please start a new thread and if needed, reference an existing one.
                Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Working...
                X