No announcement yet.

Domain Migration (When two become one)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Migration (When two become one)

Hello, I am new to the Petri.co.il Forums.

This isn't particularly a problem, but I want to get an idea on best practices to limit my stress level during this migration.

I am going to be migrating two separate domains into one domain. Currently there are about 1600 users in HSSTUDENTS and about 1200 in MSSTUDENTS. I am going to be migrating them both to STUDENTS. I want to be able to migrate all information including passwords. Both servers that these domains currently reside on are going to be decommissioned. HSSTUDENTS and MSSTUDENTS are both running on Windows Advanced Server 2003. STUDENTS is going to be running on Windows Enterprise Server 2003. I want to be able to transfer usernames and passwords, as far as policies and OUs, they are not required. MSSTUDENTS and HSSTUDENTS are going to be in separate OUs in STUDENTS due to permission differences.

Basically, I'm looking for recommendations on practices to avoid/use based on knowledge/past experiences. Thanks in advance to those who respond.
    Last edited by danielp; 10th October 2005, 12:23.
    Brad

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...7fb9d3cfd.mspx

Good luck
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

windux, I beleive the correct link would be Restructuring Active Directory Domains Between Forests

The process described above uses ADMT (AD Nigration Tool) to migrate accounts from source to target domains. Depending on your needs, you might cosider migrating using sidHistory and/or migrating the security groups from the to-be-decomissioned domains.

Read the guide carefully and get back if you have questions.[/url]
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering, the ADMT information I got off of Petri.co.il said that it is destructive in its actions. Does it move or copy accounts from one domain to the other?
        Last edited by danielp; 10th October 2005, 12:23.
        Brad

Comment

Working...
        X