Compress redirected folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compress redirected folders

My company is currently in the user acceptance phase of AD rollout. The VP of IT has posed the issue of the redirected user data, (My Documents), being on the server uncompressed. I have searched and I can not seem to find anyone who has succesfully been able to compress the redirected folders and have offline files sync correctly. Personally, I don not see the benifit of compressing the data, but I am just a lowly sys admin so I must research things fully and be able to provide a clear answer to upper management, .

Does anyone know if this is possible?

P.S.

Our redirected user data resides on a linux samba share that authenticates through AD

Re: Compress redirected folders

No idea about Samba -- in Windows I think it can compress OK

But in general, drives are so cheap, and the processor overhead of compressing / decompressing is so high, that why bother?
    (OK, we won't go the way of one user who thought that by alternating Zipping and RARing, he could get a file down to 1 byte in size )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What is the VP's objective for wanting the data compressed?

Comment

14th May 2009 15:44 joeqwerty Re: Compress redirected folders
        What is the VP's objective for wanting the data compressed?
        I really have no clue, and for that matter I don't think that he does either. Perhaps disk purchase issues.

I have tried to explain that Windows uses remote differential compression for the offline file sync so only changes are synced, so the network load is kept to a minimum, but he still persists with the uncompressed data on the server argument.

I am in the process of implementing disk quotas to limit the user's storage space so I can prove that one user can't use all the space on the storage drive, maybe that will quell his argument.

Wish me luck!!

Comment

Understood. He sounds like a VP who got where he is through means other than technical acumen( I'm not knocking him) so he hears a few things, reads a few things and goes off on a tangent whenever a buzz word gets him all aflutter.

Comment

Solutions such as NetApp help reduce storage. They have special software that looks at files at the bit level and then only stores that data. Therefore, storage considerabally reduces and the files don't need to be identical.

http://www.netapp.com/us/solutions/i...olidation.html

However, this perhaps is not an option for you for now but should you be looking ito purchasing a new storage server or SAN in future, worth considering.

Comment

14th May 2009 16:43joeqwertyRe: Compress redirected folders
              Understood. He sounds like a VP who got where he is through means other than technical acumen( I'm not knocking him) so he hears a few things, reads a few things and goes off on a tangent whenever a buzz word gets him all aflutter.
              You hit the nail on the head joeqwerty

No one knows what lurks in the minds of upper management, that's where the real challenge lies for a sysadmin.

Comment

LOL. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of any actual help on this one.

Comment

No worries, I was reaching out to see if I had overlooked something, I will have to bolster the troops and attack UM with all we've got on this one!

We shan't compress user data before it's time!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X