Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!! Replicated DC, Transfered Role. But New User/Computers can't join the domain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Replicated DC, Transfered Role. But New User/Computers can't join the domain.

Dear all,
    I have perfectly replicated the domain (mainserver.c***nepa.com) (Windows 2003 to Windows 2003, changed Hardware) and seized the roles to server.c***nepa.com. But; i knew i made a mistake when following message shows-up while joining the new computer, even a new user can't login to the domain. But, while an old DC online, everything just run smooth.
    -------------------------------------------------

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain cgsanepa.com:
    The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.cgsanepa.com
    The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
    server.c***nepa.com
    bdc.c***nepa.com
    mainserver.c***nepa.com
    Common causes of this error include:
    - Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
    - Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.
    For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

------------------------------------------------------------
    I think it is a DNS issue. Please help me resolve. Thanking you in advance.

Re: HELP!! Replicated DC, Transfered Role. But New User/Computers can't join the doma

Hi,

Can you just clarify the procedure you followed in steps.
    Did you DCpromo down the old DC?
    Have you cleared the metadata after seizing the FSMO roles?
    and has the old DC been back online since?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: HELP!! Replicated DC, Transfered Role. But New User/Computers can't join the doma

Hi!
      1) DCPROMO in newDC and made Additional Domain Controller.
      2) Seize the Roles (Schema Master, Domain Naming Master,RID Master, PDC Emulator and Infrastructure Master Roles)
      3) Configured newDC as Global Catalog Server
      I haven't cleared the metadata.
      Yes the oldDC has been online since.
      Where did i go wrong?
      yajibs

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      Hi,

Can you just clarify the procedure you followed in steps.
      Did you DCpromo down the old DC?
      Have you cleared the metadata after seizing the FSMO roles?
      and has the old DC been back online since?

Comment

Is the new DC a DNS server also and how are the DNS zones configured?
        Actually it'll be better if you post a Dcdiag output.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Check your RID pool and RID Master or try on other ADC.

Comment

Yes it is a DNS server also.
            My first thought is there must have been some wrong with the DNS. Is there any way to replicate a DNS from oldDC to new DC?

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            Is the new DC a DNS server also and how are the DNS zones configured?
            Actually it'll be better if you post a Dcdiag output.

Comment

It depends on how the DNS zones were configured in there!
              If there were AD integrated or not!
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by yajibs View Post
                Hi!
                1) DCPROMO in newDC and made Additional Domain Controller.
                2) Seize the Roles (Schema Master, Domain Naming Master,RID Master, PDC Emulator and Infrastructure Master Roles)
                3) Configured newDC as Global Catalog Server
                I haven't cleared the metadata.
                Yes the oldDC has been online since.
                Where did i go wrong?
                yajibs
                As you have seized your roles the old DC must not be put back online. It will think it still holds the FSMO roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                  As you have seized your roles the old DC must not be put back online. It will think it still holds the FSMO roles.
                  His not being clear but if you seize with the current holder online it will just do a regular transfer.

Comment

Thanks Garen. Your right. He's transferred them reading back.

Comment

Do i have to offline oldDC? but whenever i offline it, no computer can be added to the domain. Please help.
                      Thanks Garen. Your right. He's transferred them reading back.

Comment

Do i have to offline oldDC? but whenever i offline it, no computer can be added to the domain. Please help.
                        Help us to help you, answer my question about how your DNS is setup and also post a DCdiag.
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

If you carry out L4ndy's checks. This will help check that the FSMO roles have sucessfully transferred and that DNS is ok. You need to check to see if DNS is AD integrated and is present on the new machine.

Comment

Yes, DNS on both servers are AD integrated.
                            Is it a possibility? After transfering the role, newDC is PDC. but till i demote an oldDC PDC will not be advertising itself as a domain-controller. If it is so, can i just safely demote oldDC?
                            Hopeless till now........sorry for not being able to put dcdiag output.

If you carry out L4ndy's checks. This will help check that the FSMO roles have sucessfully transferred and that DNS is ok. You need to check to see if DNS is AD integrated and is present on the new machine.

Comment

Yes, DNS on both servers are AD integrated.
                              Is it a possibility? After transfering the role, newDC is PDC. but till i demote an oldDC PDC will not be advertising itself as a domain-controller. If it is so, can i just safely demote oldDC?
                              Hopeless till now........sorry for not being able to put dcdiag output.
                              You need to check that all 5 FSMO roles have been transferred. Leaving the old DC up won't make a difference. It's best practice to have a 2nd DC in a domain anyway. Once you double check the below and we have resolved your issue, the 1st stage would be to power off the old DC for a week and then demote it. Just in case we need it again. Also, make a system state backup of it using ntbackup before demoting.

To check FSMO role holders.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234790

Have you also made the new DC a GC?

http://www.petri.com/configure_a_new_global_catalog.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X