Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing 2000 Server AD

Hi

I followed the instructions given on the petri.co.il webpage for installing the Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 machine. Everything went pretty smooth: first, I installed the DNS, then enabled dynamic updates and forwarders for it, then checked it and everything was working fine. Then I promoted the server to the domain controller and integrated the forward and reverse lookup DNS zones into the Active Directory. Then I tried to add another Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 machine to the domain (of course, I pointed it only to the DC DNS beforehand and enabled dynamic DNS updates on its interface). The dialog box affirmed that the server joined the domain successfully. Though after the server restart I expected that it would register itself in the DC DNS, but it never happened. I repeated the same join procedure with a test Windows Server 2003 SP1 machine and it registered itself in the DC DNS without any problems.

What could be wrong with the member Windows 2000 Server SP4 machine, why doesn't it register itself in the DC DNS?

--
    Many thanks,
    Oskar

Re: Installing 2000 Server AD

Just wanted to add that the difference between the Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 domain members is that the Windows 2000 Server member is registered with a different suffix in the intranet DNS, to which the AD DNS has forwarders set up.

--
    Many thanks,
    Oskar

Originally posted by oskar
    Hi

I followed the instructions given on the petri.co.il webpage for installing the Active Directory on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 machine. Everything went pretty smooth: first, I installed the DNS, then enabled dynamic updates and forwarders for it, then checked it and everything was working fine. Then I promoted the server to the domain controller and integrated the forward and reverse lookup DNS zones into the Active Directory. Then I tried to add another Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 machine to the domain (of course, I pointed it only to the DC DNS beforehand and enabled dynamic DNS updates on its interface). The dialog box affirmed that the server joined the domain successfully. Though after the server restart I expected that it would register itself in the DC DNS, but it never happened. I repeated the same join procedure with a test Windows Server 2003 SP1 machine and it registered itself in the DC DNS without any problems.

What could be wrong with the member Windows 2000 Server SP4 machine, why doesn't it register itself in the DC DNS?

--
    Many thanks,
    Oskar

Comment

Re: Installing 2000 Server AD

Thanks guys for trying to help, but I've solved the problem by myself. It was the problem with the DHCP service set to Manual startup and dynamic updates not working therefore. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264539

--
      Many thanks,
      Oskar

Just wanted to add that the difference between the Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 domain members is that the Windows 2000 Server member is registered with a different suffix in the intranet DNS, to which the AD DNS has forwarders set up.

--
      Many thanks,
      Oskar

Hi

--
      Many thanks,
      Oskar

Comment

You're expert
        MCSE w2k
        MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Working...
        X