Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Domain Controller acting as Replication Partner crashed

Hi all,
    I have run into a problem and need your suggestions.

We have a Windows 2003 AD domain running two DCs ie ( DC1) as First Domain Controller and DC2 as 2nd Domain Controller.
    Both are GCs.

Since last two years both the DCs were working perfectly but when we shifted office to a new location, our 2nd DC worked for one day and then developed a HDD prob and stopped working.

Since this is my 2nd DC, our users are unaffected. However, as a redundancy measure I wish to install another spare Server as 2nd DC.

We have a Dell PowerEdge 2550 which is a PIII / 1 GB RAM / 40 GB HDD machine as spare. Can such a low end Server be used as my 2nd DC or does it require more powerful machine?

When I first installed the 2nd DC, all I had to do is to install it as another DC as mentioned in the following link.

http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm

On performing DCPROMO and installation of DNS, both the DCs replicated after sometime.

Here are my queries regarding the installation of my new 2nd DC :

a) Can I use the same name ie DC2 for this new DC

If yes, what are the task that is needed to be done.

Since there will be entries of old DC2 on the first DC1, hence I assume I have to perform some cleanup operations on DC1?

If there are any issues naming it as DC2, then I am happy to call it DC3.
    I assume that I still have to do some cleanup of the entries of DC2 on the first DC1.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Pankajb

Re: 2nd Domain Controller acting as Replication Partner crashed

First you should clean up all entries pointing to the old domain controller. All entries, in regards to ADUC (DSA.MSC), NTDS meta data clean-up.

Then you can install you spare domain controller and give it the same name as your previous controller.

If your hardware should meet the requirements depends on the amount of users and additional settings. The main task of a domain controller is to authenticate. This isn't a heavy load, and can therefore be run on an older machine.

In virtual invironments, domain controllers are often set with a minimum on resources as they are usually idle.

I am only talking about a simple domain controller which is not set as GC and does not hold any of the FSMO roles.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Take a look here:

http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

In this link you will find how to remove failed dc from AD. After doing it you will be able to join additional dc with same name.

As was told before you can use this hardware configuration for your DC.

Comment

Hi Buddies,

Many thanks for your replies.

In the meantime, I am planning to setup Virtual Machine as DC3 before I can install the DC2 on the spare Dell PowerEdge 2550. This is to ensure that if due to my sheer bad luck DC1 develops any problem today then I would have another DC in hand.

Can you please advise, if there are any restriction to the amount of Replication Partners on a Domain ie is it possible to have 3 DCs as replication partners.

Cheers,

Pankajb

Comment

I have 3 DC in one of my clients site, and its work fine

Comment

Hi Guys,

As an interim measure I have setup a Virtual Machine as DC3 for redundancy.

Now I am ready with a new Harddisk that has failed on DC2 to get it rebuild.

I was planning to use the same name ie DC2 as used earlier but while going through forum posting I found the following mentioned by our Moderator Ossian in one of the post:

Quoted by Ossian:

From bad experiences, use a different name rather than relying on ntdsutil to clean up all traces unless you have a VERY good reason to keep the original name

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=36451
            Can Ossian or others who had bad experiences throw some light on the isssues.

Are there some people who have replaced DCs with same name ?

Thanks in advance for all the support and time.

Cheers,

Pankajb

Comment

Well, the issue is that the domain still thinks it's a DC. It might not let it re-register itself and you may run into issues. Even if you have a new machine with the same name the SID's will be different. You'd have to change that to the old SID with NewSid.
              GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Ditto
                Unless you have either done a clean demotion or fully cleaned out the old DC in DNS, ADSS, NTDSUTIL and ADSIEdit, you may find the new one refuses to promote with the same name. If I use a different name I am confident of a successful join.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X