Clear All

• new to Active Directory and Group Policy ? on how to setup home page

I have the steps on how to setup a customize URL as follows:
    Navigate
    |---> User Configuration
    |---> Windows Settings
    |---> IE Maintenance
    |---> URLs
    |---> Important URLs and put a check in the box typed in the URL minus the name

My question is we have a specialized home page that fills in the user name when Internet Explorer opens - there is Good Morning (name). I have established how to put the Intranet Page on the Important URL but have not figured how to put in the username, how can I do that? I have tried putting %username% and that just displays Good Morning %username%. I think there should a link of some sort but for where can someone out please assist?

Many Thanks in advance!

Re: new to Active Directory and Group Policy ? on how to setup home page

I would imagine that if it doesn't work if you just type it into IE then it won't work here. Do variables like that work for a link, don't you need to setup the website itself to redirect etc?
    Apologies that is more questions than answers but I don't believe what you are trying to do is possible that way.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I guess it mainly uses the languages used in the webpage.
      I have worked with some people in the past who designed applications which where webbased and used Java. As i recall, they used a specific value for the username. I do not recall the right syntax.
      [Powershell]
      Start-DayDream
      Set-Location Malibu Beach
      Get-Drink
      Lay-Back
      Start-Sleep
      Wake-Up!
      Resume-Service
      Write-Warning
      [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you, both for replying, I will use the advice you gave and see if I can figure it out.

Is there a good for newbies to go to learn about group policy management?

Many thanx in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by mlux09 View Post

Is there a good for newbies to go to learn about group policy management?

Many thanx in advance!
          IMHO a small test lab (could be virtual) lets you make and break settings and learn

As far as exactly where things are in GP, I still use for most of them!
          Last edited by Ossian; 12th May 2009, 15:51.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you - I will work on creating a virtual environment and google.

Comment

Working...
            X