No announcement yet.

Two Domains and Exchange Sites to be merged into one Domain and Exchange Site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Domains and Exchange Sites to be merged into one Domain and Exchange Site

Hello,

I'd like some guidance, wisdom on the following. Below is the current enviroment and the requirement is to have one domain eg All users will be in Domain A. Domain A Exchange site will stay and users from Domain B would Join domain A and Exchange site of Domain A.

domain A
    Windows 2000 DC running Exchange 2003
    Domains is Windows 2000 Mixed Mode, exchange is also in Mixed Mode

Domain B
    Windows 2003 DC running Exchange 2003
    Windows 2000 mixed mode, Exchange in mixed mode

(Domain B has less users and smaller mailbox requirements)

Domains are in separate forests -
    Exchange servers are in separate sites
    Domains were separated historically. It is a flat network and all users are in the same physical location. Desire is to place all users in the same domain and same exchange site for collaboration and easier management of domain, users and exchange.

Currently mail is pop'd - This will also change in the future, after this migration has been completed.

Here is how I am proposing to achieve the stated objective:

Run Exmerge against domain B Exchange Server and export mail boxes to pst files
    Remove exchange from Domain B
    Remove AD from Domain B - demote Domain B to Workgroup Server
    Add user accounts to Domain A (approx 10 users)
    Make demoted Server a domain controller in Domain A
    Define User and group permissions for file access etc.
    Create Exchange mail boxes for added users (formerly Domain B)
    Merge pst files into Exchange mail boxes

So I would have (2) Domain controllers in Domain A
    All Users in one AD structure
    All Users on one Exchange Server

Is this the best approach to achieve this or is there a better way.

If I remove the Domain B - will I be able to easily migrate User Profiles to the new domain?
    Will Exmerge export Public folders?
    With respect to Exchange would I be able to just create new Exchange profiles for the users that have been created on the exchange server in Domain A?

I hope I have explained it clearly enough. Any guidance, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Two Domains and Exchange Sites to be merged into one Domain and Exchange Site

Are there a substantial amount of NTFS permissions setup in DomainB?
    If not then I would go pretty much the same way but in a slightly different order.
    Setup the domain B users on the new domain first and get users to log on to test they can access.
    Take their old machines off the network B and add to A. Use the same profiles if required (one method is add permissions to the folder in Docs/Settings and then edit registry on the box to get the whole profile).
    Exmerge in and out depending on when the user needs their old email, can be done in a staged approach by exmerging out stuff older than a month for example and then just the newer stuff when the user actually moves. With 10 users it should be fairly straight forward.

Exmerge doesn't take public folders, you can copy data into a temp mailbox, export to pst and then import to public folders. Permissions will be lost that way. If it is critical then it may be possible to keep them however it would be a lot more work.

You would create new profiles for the domain b users on domain a and then just import their mail with exmerge. You will need to correct their pst names if they are different.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Two Domains and Exchange Sites to be merged into one Domain and Exchange Site

Thanks for the validation.

Even thought this will be closed can I re-post as I would like to update on the actual. Any gotcha's I found.

Comment

No problem at all, would be good to hear the issues you faced asit cuold benefit others.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X