Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create a new Primary DNS Zone for Network Kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create a new Primary DNS Zone for Network Kit?

Hi All, I hope everyone had a pleasant Bank Holiday weekend!

We have a network management system which requires each of the network devices to have DNS entries (forward and reverse) and so far we've just added them to our default 2003 AD DNS Zone, abcdefg.co.uk for instance.

This requires that members of my team then manually enter and remove entries as required. This is quickly becoming a large task and we wish to at least delegate it to the network team.

Therefore Iíve considered creating a sub domain such as "network.abcdefg.co.uk" to contain all of the network devices and give the network team the ability to add and remove records. Also Iíve notices that to do this I would need to create a new Primary DNS Zone to be able to delegate the privileges separately.

Longer term I hope to script the add and removal of network devices to DNS but this would be a great first step.

My question is.. does this make sense and has anyone else done it?

Alternatively other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Create a new Primary DNS Zone for Network Kit?

Hi,

I hope you had a nice one too mate.
    Why not use the DHCP server to register and update your RR in DNS as per this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc787034.aspx
    As for the Option 81 (Which has puzzled me in the past) have a read on this: http://kbalertz.com/945397/values-ap...ws-Server.aspx

You could also use Aging and Scanaging to deal with stale records.

The manual and scripting solutions look a bit to much resource consuming to me.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to give a little more information, the network kit that i'm focusing on is all Cisco Switches and routers. They have a static IP address therefore i'm not sure where the DHCP applies?

So when the network team want a dns we'll put something like London-SW1 as the first switch on the site but obviously we could potentially have 10 switches on a site and we have 1000+ sites.

Comment

Well, that extra info certainly changes things then. So, as you have already done, just ignore my previous post.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yeah sorry mate, should have thought it through a bit more.. it's been one of those mornings unfortunately and my post was interrupted by a File Cluster failover.

Roll on the weekend!

Comment

This is a bit of a puzzler... I did think that a new primary zone was a good idea and used my friend google to see if anyone else had done this. I found the following article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...f-d211798505d1

Which I know is something you've already thought of Chris.

I would be very interested in the views of anyone else on the forums. Someone must have done this for network hardware or equivalent kit that cannot perform dynamic updates.

Rob.
            Rob.
            ----
            There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Comment

Working...
            X