X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unused user attributes.

Hi guys,

Active Directory 2000 native mode.

We need to save information about users and computers in some location and though the best place are active directory attributes.

For instance, it'd be very useful to collect some information about servers kind of serial number, make, model. I know Active Directory objects cotain several unused attributes and I'd like to take advantage of that, but I'm afraid of any bad use.

Could I find a list of unused attributes in AD?.

May I do a schema extend?.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unused user attributes.

Hi,

As a general rule I'd say try to adapt existing attributes I.e. Quite often I've seen Serial numbers on the Description attribute of Computer objects and so on.
    The thing about extending the schema is that it's a irreversible process and so it should be planned with caution.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

If you are also using Exchange then it will have added custom attributes to your schema which you can use without explicitly adding more yourself. We use one of these custom attributes to store qualifications which are added to email signatures by Exclaimer. Go to the Exchange Advanced tab in ADUC and click custom attributes.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi,

Exchange isn't installed.

Do you know if Microsoft has a list about unused attributes in AD?.

Comment

To make the attribute available you need to go to the schema management console, browse to the attribute you require, right click-Properties and then Replicate this to the Global catalog servers or s'thing along those lines.
          Last edited by L4ndy; 7th May 2009, 11:59.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X