Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRV Records missing for newly promoted DC (WAS: DNS Question)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRV Records missing for newly promoted DC (WAS: DNS Question)

First domain controller in Active Directory is running Windows 2003 SP2. It also has the DNS for the network.

Recently acquired new to us (used ) server running Windows 2003 RC2. The Windows 2003 RC2 was fresh installed. We determined to add it to our AD as a domain controller so we have some redundancy and balance.

Found "How to Install a Replica DC in an Existing AD Domain on Windows Server 2003" on the petri.co knowledge base. Ran adprep on the 2003 server and went smooth. (yes I used the rc2 version of adprep ) before following along with the document.

All went smooth with no problems. The only thing I am having difficulty confirming is the dns srv records. The newly added domain controller is not a DNS server. The first domain controller is. I did F5 and did not see these recrods. I did the net stop logon and net start logon. Still didn't see the records. I saw other entries showing the new server, but not these.

what did I miss ? everything else if fine. (and yes I plan to make it a dns server at a later date).

thanks in advance.

Re: DNS Question

Does the new server point to the old server for primary DNS?
    Where are you specifically looking for these records?
    Have you run DCDiag and NetDiag too?

Can you also have a quick read of the forum rules, your title isn't sufficient and you've quite a few posts now. I've changed it this time for you though
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: SRV Records missing for newly promoted DC (WAS: DNS Question)

ive got a somewhat distant memory coming to me about primary dns on the secondary server having something to with whether dcpromo installs the DNS service or not on secondary DCs.

There's a few issues here i think.
      * on the second server, have you checked if the DNS server role is installed?
      * are the servers replicating? (repadmin /showrepl will show replication status)
      * You could also try ipconfig /registerdns on the second controller also

If the DNS server is running on the second controller (which it needs to be for what you want). Then check if the forward (and reverse) zones are showing. If not, try creating the zones to be AD-integrated same as on DC1. It may then fix itself up.

---------
      oztasdevil

Comment

Thanks for changing the title. Will spend more time on that in the future.

DNS server is NOT installed on the newly installed second domain controller. DNS points to the first domain controller.

repadmin /showrepl shows that replication is working.

I will setup dns on the second domain controller at a later date.

Comment

Good question tasdevil,
          Is the DNS zone AD integrated?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, dns is integrated with AD, on the first Domain Controller.

Comment

Working...
            X