GPO to prevent users form saving to desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO to prevent users form saving to desktop

Does anyone know how to stop users from being able to save files on the desktop. I have my documents folder redirection and roaming profiles and want to be sure users can't save file on the desktop and create very large profile directories as a result.

Appreciate the help

quota's on the roaming profiles?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Quotas

Would stop them using too much space but would still get the files all downloading when they logon which was the whole poing tof redirecting my docs. If I can remove the desktop from the "save in" list that would be enough. No idea how to that though!!

Any ideas preferably with group policy

Thx

Comment

Well you could go for folder redirection to a shared folder (i.e. \\server\desktop\%username%) and have read-only permissions for the folder.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Folder redirection

Thanks will give it a go. On another note have used addusers utility to create my users, but the name displayed in AD listings is the userid not full name - which is there when you look at the account properties. If I create one using the GUI tool then it displays the full name in the listing no problem.

Any ideas how I can fix this. Don't want to recreate the accounts but would prefer to see the users full name especially as I have users with the same last names and first initials which form the core of my user ID's

Many thanks

Comment

The usual way to create bulk users is to use a script to read details from a CSV (Excel) file. If you search windows scripting on microsoft.com you will find examples to help you

As always, it is worth setting up a "test" OU to experiment with this, delete all the test users after you're satisfied and then do it for real

Good Luck!
            Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

For preventing saving files on the desktop you might want to try the approach I suggested in the following post:
              http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?p=549#post549
              Last edited by guyt; 7th June 2007, 17:05.
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
              X