Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering AD from backup(Backup Exec) - All DCs lost

Need some DRP advice.

Backup is currently taken of System State and certain Program File directories.

However, much of the hardware is somewhat old and would not be replaced by identical hardware in the event of failure.

So, if all DCs die, and identical hardware is not available (i.e. A normal System State restore cannot be performed due to different hardware - or am I wrong here??)... what facilities are there in Backup Exec / Windows to restore the domain/FSMO roles etc?

Backup Exec 12.5 (though I'd be interested to know if this is different in 9, 10d, 11 etc)

Re: Recovering AD from backup(Backup Exec) - All DCs lost

Do a base install of 2003, then run DSRM, change into authoritative mode, and restore your DC.

(I think i'm on the right track... I'm taking a guess)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

From a strictly BackupExec 12.5 perspective:

1. BackupExec 12.5 now includes the IDR (intelligent disaster recovery) option for free. You can use this to restore an entire server to new hardware. The caveat is that you need to perform a Full backup of the server without excluding any folders or files.

2. BackupExec 12.5 has an optional Active Directory agent that you can purchase that will allow you to backup and restore the AD database, including the ability to restore individual AD objects. You don't need to have this agent in order to recover your AD database but it's nice to have in case you need to restore a single AD object that's been deleted.

Comment

wow.. i didn;t know we needed a full-full backup of the file system to use idr
        we're currently genreating IDR disks on monday morning, but we've excluded large amounts of shit from the backup runs..

so would the IDR fail completely ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I haven't tried it without a Full backup but the BackupExec Administrator's Guide (yes, I've read the whole thing) says that you need to do a Full backup of the server (including System State, Shadow Copy Components, and Utility Partitions if they exist) in order to use the IDR. Here's what I do:

1. I run a Full backup of all servers including the file system, System State, Shadow Copy Components, and Utility Partitions if they exist, on Saturday.

2. I run a Full backup of just the System State, Shadow Copy Components, and Utility Partitions if they exist, the remaining 6 days of the week.

3. I run an incremental backup of the file system on all servers the remaining 6 days of the week.

So if I have a server crash I can use IDR to restore the entire server from the Saturday Full backup, restore the latest Full System State backup, and restore whatever incremental backups I need in order to get the server to it's last good state.

The reason I use incremental backups during the week instead of differentials is because differentials require too much disk and tape storage. A Full restore takes a little longer because of having to restore multiple incrementals but my backup catalog is much smaller and the incremental backups don't take as long.

Also, if you're recovering the entire server using IDR, IDR can restore all the backup sets for you, so you just select which backup sets and it automates everything else.

Comment

I've restored DCs to different hardware without IDR as far back as Backup Exec 10.

You install a fresh on the new hardware, then do a full restore over it. BE has an option that handles the differences in hardware between the current install and the one contained in the backup.

But that's the downside, you have to install a host copy of Windows first, then install BE, then restore, etc...

IDR lets you skip all that and restore from nothing.

Comment

I have had no joy at all with IDR restoring onto 'other' hardware, and in fact I sit now at the end of 16 hours of trying at a recovery site.

I got one of my 2008 x64 servers to boot, but active directory would not start at all.

That's about it.

What are the steps? Why do you think I've had such lousy luck at it?

Comment

You would save time and money in the long run if you gave MS a call in the long run I think. Even giving Veritas a call would help. If you know your backup are good get someone else in and try restoring to a VM somewhere too.
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                X