Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case sensitivity

Hey guys:

Any way to make Active Directory authentication case sensitive?

Thanks,

-Zack

Re: Case sensitivity

Passwords are case sensitive. User names are not. Are you referring to the password or the user name?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Passwords are case sensitive. User names are not. Are you referring to the password or the user name?
      Usernames. Is there any way I can make them case sensitive?

I'm having an issue where I'm authenticating using AD, then getting roles from Sun LDAP. So when AD allows a user, but LDAP rejects the user due to case sensitivity issues, the entire application doesn't perform as expected.

Any ideas?

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to make usernames case sensitive.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to make usernames case sensitive.
          . Any ideas on how to make my situation go away? .

Comment

Any way to make the Sun authentication case insensitive?

You might want to wait and see if anyone else responds to your post, but I've never heard of or seen a way to make an AD username case sensitive.

Comment

Any way to make the Sun authentication case insensitive?

You might want to wait and see if anyone else responds to your post, but I've never heard of or seen a way to make an AD username case sensitive.
              Negative , not to my knowledge. I actually want it to be case sensitive for higher security.

Comment

Looking at this post:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=35067

Makes me think that if you change the attribute listed in the post to match the case of the Sun user name that it might do the trick for you. As long as the Sun username case is static and does not change it might work. Note as Guy mentioned in his response that this attribute is not replicated to other DC's so you'll have to change it on all DC's. I can't honestly say that I recommend going down this road, but if you do test it with a test user first.

Comment

Looking at this post:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=35067

Makes me think that if you change the attribute listed in the post to match the case of the Sun user name that it might do the trick for you. As long as the Sun username case is static and does not change it might work. Note as Guy mentioned in his response that this attribute is not replicated to other DC's so you'll have to change it on all DC's. I can't honestly say that I recommend going down this road, but if you do test it with a test user first.
                  Thanks bud...I'll test it out in my test environment.

Comment

Only the change in case is not replicated (AD does not treat it as a change).

replicated: joe->john
                    not replicated: joe->Joe
                    Guy Teverovsky
                    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                      Only the change in case is not replicated (AD does not treat it as a change).

replicated: joe->john
                      not replicated: joe->Joe
                      Hey Guy:

I think I'm just not understanding correctly. What do you mean it's not replicated? I understand the example (it treats changes in text as a change, but not changes in case), but am I missing something?

Comment

The attribute is not case sensitive, which means that if the only change in the attribute value is its case, it will not replicate out to other DCs and you might end up with DCs having the attribute value in different cases (DC1:joe, DC2:Joe)

If you change "joe" to "John" it WILL replicate to all the DCs as "John"

So if you have a change in text (joe->John), the case of the new value is persisted (John) and replicated to all DCs. If the change is only in case (joe->Joe), the change is not replicated out.
                        Guy Teverovsky
                        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                          The attribute is not case sensitive, which means that if the only change in the attribute value is its case, it will not replicate out to other DCs and you might end up with DCs having the attribute value in different cases (DC1:joe, DC2:Joe)

If you change "joe" to "John" it WILL replicate to all the DCs as "John"

So if you have a change in text (joe->John), the case of the new value is persisted (John) and replicated to all DCs. If the change is only in case (joe->Joe), the change is not replicated out.
                          Ah, got it. For one environment, we only have one DC...I think that's why I was confused. Sorry for not putting that bit of information in my original post...

Comment

Any other ideas guys? I'm kind of at wit's end .

Comment

Since Guy's posts refer to the attribute value not replicating to other DC's if you change the case only, and since you've said you only have one DC so replication is not an issue here then I say why don't you try changing the case to match the Sun case and see if it works. What have you got to lose? If it doesn't work then change it back and you've lost nothing by trying.

Comment

Working...
                              X