Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dns error ,joining child domain and additional dc,

Hi,
    i have 2 domains in my office, when i want 2nd domain to become child or first domain, or when i try to make any other server as additional dc, i get error stating that the requested domain either does not exist or cant be contacted. Please tell me what is right way to set up child domain with w2000server

Looks like DNS is not correct. Make sure the DNS of your child domain can find the root, and vice versa. Things to check:

- dns installed on child domain
    - dns on child forwards to root
    - dns on root has a DNS delegation to child.

From child, you should be able to do 'nslookup parent.com', and get a list of all the DC's in the parent domain.

Comment

The problem is that you are writing de FQDN. Try to put the NETBIOS name.

Ex:

microsoft.com -> FQDN
      microsoft -> Netbios

MCSE w2k
      MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
      MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Don't you mean that the other way around? There is no netbios involved in setting up AD domains. The fqdn is always correct, netbios only if you are lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
          Don't you mean that the other way around? There is no netbios involved in setting up AD domains. The fqdn is always correct, netbios only if you are lucky.
          Soail it's receiving that message in the credentials part (i suppose) so let's wait for the soail answer!
          MCSE w2k
          MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

ok, i wil try it but

when we run dcpromo it says about information that would u like this computer be child or additional etc. infor. so in the mcse book no where is written that dns should be installed on child domain.
            And if i install dns on child domain from control panel how to configure it manually because using dcpromo automatically created dns , but how to install it manually.

I will be gratefull to see some help
            Thanks,
            May peace be on all of you.

Comment

HI,

You can see this withe paper from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...gmt/w2kdns.asp

MCSE w2k
              MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Check my earlier post; it should get you started.

Additionally, you might not need this extra domain. If you are doing this for practice, it is fine to learn from. In a production environment a new domain should not be created without good reason. In 90% of the cases it is not needed.

Comment

Working...
                X