Cached Credentials Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cached Credentials Issue

if this is not the correct forum for this sorry i didn't know exactly where to post it. I THINK it's an AD issue. if it's not i apologize and i the admin can move it or delete it and i'll re-post. Well off to the problem at hand

Decision was made to have laptop users used cached credentials when not in the office. this works just fine except on a few cases. our developers use a program called Matlab for computational jargon that i do not understand... Now we have a server license that doles out the licenses based on network ID. The usernames specified in the license file for the server are case sensitive. here's where the problem comes in. When a user logs in at the office with lower case ID everything works fine. When said laptop is disconnected from the network and the user logs in again using lowercase, if i bring up a command prompt, type "set" to check all the variables and what not the user id is capitalized. When the user tries to use VPN and launch the application locally it errors out because the ID is in caps. Anyone have any clue as to why the username is being capitalized when the user logs in with cached credentials?

Thanks in advance
    Ice

Re: Cached Credentials Issue

Anyone have any input on this?

Much appreciated.

Comment

Please check that the sAMAccountName attribute is in lowercase on all the DCs. If the attribute was created using uppercase and was later renamed to lowercase, the case change does not replicate out and you will have all the DCs (except the one the change was performed on) having the attribute in uppercase.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks Guy.

I haven't tried changing the sAMAccountname to lower case in the DC. This user would probably only authenticate to one DC. If i were to manually change it to lowercase would that then keep the cached credentials to lowercase? We used to be a Novell shop prior to AD and the whole creating usernames in CAPS transferred over from that. ZenWorks like capitalizing ID's.

Ice

Comment

The only time I have ever had a similar issue was with the VPN credentials added to a SonicWall VPN appliance. The username was also case sensitive.

A Windows user ID is not case sensitive, only the password. When they attempt to connect, are the using the UPN in the username. e.g. [email protected] or Domain\User.

Comment

The users are logging in via the web using our RSA server.
            ID
            Pass
            pin+rsa token

once they've logged in there's an option to start "Net Connect". Honestly i'm not very familiar with how the VPN was set up but once the NetConnect/VPN application is running the tunnel works.

**Edit for proper grammar**

Comment

Ice,

Depending on how the user authenticated, the USERNAME variable (though it is not case sensitive) will be populated using the case used in AD.

Make sure ALL the DCs have the sAMAccountName of that user in lowercase.
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
                Ice,

Depending on how the user authenticated, the USERNAME variable (though it is not case sensitive) will be populated using the case used in AD.

Make sure ALL the DCs have the sAMAccountName of that user in lowercase.
                Yeah , that's what i gathered from your post above. I'm discussing it with my IT manager to see if we want to switch the username case in AD or just have the user start logging in with caps and just change his username in the license file. The latter would keep our AD in "uniform" so to speak.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

No problem. Good luck and post back either way.

Comment

We've decided the easiest thing is to just change the user's ID in the license file. just wanted to thank you guys for your help again.
                    This board is always there with good solutions.

keep up the hard work.

Comment

Working...
                    X