Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RID Master Limit Reached

Greetings,

Currently I have a single forest, single 2003 domain, Windows 2003 servers. I recently promoted a domain controller at a remote office location. We began experiencing problem with users not being able to log in or drive mappings not working etc. As we investigated it was discovered that the RID Master limit has been reached. Not sure if the new domain controller caused problem or simply uncovered an existing problem.

Has anyone encountered this before? We should be no where near hitting the limit based on ID's in the organization. From I understand there is no way to increase the limit. Any suggestions for a work around? Any ideas on cause?

Re: RID Master Limit Reached

Only obvious thought -- is the RIDMaster FSMO available. IIRC it dishes out blocks of RIDs to DCs so that they can do something if its down but itself has a very large number of RIDs to supply
    If it is, you could try transferring the role to see if that resolves the issue
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: RID Master Limit Reached

Are you getting a specific event log message about this?
      Hitting the limit would take a long time unless you have scripts etc creating / deleting objects etc.

Do DC/Net diags show anything?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
      X