Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _msdcs zone missing on new DNS server

Hi,

I'm migrating my company's main DNS server to new hardware and after installing DNS, I noticed that the _msdcs zone is missing from the new server. I installed Wk3, installed DNS, did DCpromo and let the two DNS servers replicate. I made the forward lookup zone a primary zone and noticed that the _msdcs zone that's on the main DNS server has not been replicated to the new DNS server. Zone Transfer is set up as well as dynamic update, I restarted the Net Logon service and nothing. Any idea what I did wrong?

Re: _msdcs zone missing on new DNS server

My suggestion would be to convert the zones on the original DC to AD integrated zones.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      My suggestion would be to convert the zones on the original DC to AD integrated zones.
      Wow, that was easy. The Forward lookup was AD integrated but not the _msdcs zone. That worked.

Let me ask you something else if you don't mind; what do I have to make sure I do before demoting the DC? Replication on AD is working fine, DNS seems to be working fine, I move all FSMO roles to the new DC but I want to make sure everything will work when I disconnect the Original DC.

Comment

Normally you shouldn't have to do any more than run DCPROMO on the server being decommissioned. If it runs with no problems then all should be good. Of course, in the case that it doesn't run smoothly there may be some metadata to clean up. Also, when running DCPROMO on the original DC that holds the FSMO roles, the DCPROMO process will transfer those roles to another DC. You shouldn't have to manually do it.

Comment

Normally you shouldn't have to do any more than run DCPROMO on the server being decommissioned. If it runs with no problems then all should be good. Of course, in the case that it doesn't run smoothly there may be some metadata to clean up. Also, when running DCPROMO on the original DC that holds the FSMO roles, the DCPROMO process will transfer those roles to another DC. You shouldn't have to manually do it.
          Kind of late FSMO roles have been moved to the new DC. Do you recommend disconnecting the Original DC from the network for a few day before decommission it?

Comment

No harm with the FSMO roles, it's just that you don't need to do it when running DCPROMO (for future reference). If you think everything is good then yes, shut down the original DC for a day or so and if all is well fire it back up and run DCPROMO to demote it.

Comment

No harm with the FSMO roles, it's just that you don't need to do it when running DCPROMO (for future reference). If you think everything is good then yes, shut down the original DC for a day or so and if all is well fire it back up and run DCPROMO to demote it.
              Great! Thanks man, you've been very helpful. Excuse my ignorance, is this forum like EE where you assign point or something?

Comment

Glad to help. Yes, you can assign reputation points by clicking the yin-yang icon.

Comment

Working...
                X