Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help on setup 2 subnets under one domain

hi all,

please help. I am currently have a domain with a subnet of 10.0.1.x assign dhcp via domain controller and I would like to have another subnet 10.0.2.x so that I can separate a group of computer to the new subnet 10.0.2.x

what do i need to accomplish this task?
    can I have dhcp assign the ip base no a group policy, etc..?
    do I need a new or dedicate switch for this new subnet?
    do I need a router to tight the 2 subnets?

I like to use what I currently have instead of buy any new hardware.

I currently have dell switch 27xx for the subnet and no VLAN.

thanks for all your help...

Re: need help on setup 2 subnets under one domain

airwolf,

What you are trying to accomplish is possible. What you will need to do is first create a new DHCP scope on your DHCP server to hand out addresses to the new subnet. Second, and this will depend on your hardware, configure your Dell switch for DHCP forwarding (in Cisco terms it is the DHCP helper address). This will tell the switch where to forward DHCP request to the proper server. Now, this is assuming that the switch can be configured for VLANs and can be setup to route between them. If not your second option could be to use Routing and Remote Access on one of your servers. Add a second NIC to the server and plug it into two seperate switches, one being the 10.0.1.x network and the other being 10.0.2.x network. With RRAS enabled you could route traffic between the two networks as well as configure the DHCP relay agent.

-Jason
    MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Hi Jason,

thank you for the help. Just want to make sure I get it correctly here.

so what i need is another swith for the new subnet 10.0.2.x and configure it as vlan 1. then the existing switch that current have subnet 10.0.0x with no vlan run an uplink said port 24 to that new subnet switch vlan1 port 1. and that will do the trick? do i need to configure anything port 24 on the existing swtich that do the uplink?

or

can I partition the dell 27xx in half. as of right now, the existing switch with subnet 10.0.0.x is not configure any vlan. it is very much generic. can I keep the top 12 ports (1 to 12) as is then configure the last 12 ports (13 to 24) say for VLAN 1 to handle subnet 10.0.2.x?

Comment

Originally posted by airwolf09 View Post
        Can I partition the dell 27xx in half. as of right now, the existing switch with subnet 10.0.0.x is not configure any vlan. it is very much generic. can I keep the top 12 ports (1 to 12) as is then configure the last 12 ports (13 to 24) say for VLAN 1 to handle subnet 10.0.2.x?
        This might be the easier way to go. Again though, depending on the capabilities of your Dell switch you would still need to route between the VLANs. If the switch can not do that if you stand up a Windows RRAS server with two NICs. One NIC plugged into VLAN 1 the other NIC plugged into VLAN 2. That way you you can configure the RRAS server as your router and route traffic between the two VLANs.

For the windows router scenario you may find this article helpful:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...tag=rbxccnbtr1

-Jason
        MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Thanks Jason. I will double check on these switch and see if it can route. if not I may have to look for for cisco 3750G or setup a RRAS server with 2 nics as you say. again thank you and will let you know how i make out...

Comment

Working...
          X