Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO…

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO…

I had only one DC. Then I created second DC. Moved operation masters etc PDC.. Schema etc.. and Global catalog from the first to second one - new server. Everything was fine. Then after one week every 5 minutes. I had noticed this issue in event viewer on the old DC it was always 1058 followed by 1030 event ids.

"Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO… Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.

However, I was able to access that file gpt.ini and as well to see policy. Somehow I have applied the procedure for time synchronisation. PDC and old DC are both setting up to synch with internet clock time.windows.com as described in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

I do not know whether timing set up should be the same with PDC as with SDC? The errors dissapeared for 2 weeks, but they are again back. Obviously something is wrong with timing configuration.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842804

I have tried with setting up WaitForNetwork as was recomended from the above web site, but it is the same. After two weeks same errors every 5 minutes on the old DC.

Re: Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO…

Are both DCs setup with the other as primary DNS?
    Are the times the same on both or are they skewed (from your post?).
    Can you run:

DCDiag /fix /v > c:\dcdiagreport.txt
    NetDiag /fix /v > c:\netdiagreport.txt

and post the results please?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Here is the attachement
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pereubu View Post
        However, I was able to access that file gpt.ini and as well to see policy. Somehow I have applied the procedure for time synchronisation. PDC and old DC are both setting up to synch with internet clock time.windows.com as described in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

I do not know whether timing set up should be the same with PDC as with SDC? The errors dissapeared for 2 weeks, but they are again back. Obviously something is wrong with timing configuration.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842804

I have tried with setting up WaitForNetwork as was recomended from the above web site, but it is the same. After two weeks same errors every 5 minutes on the old DC.
        You only need to set an external time source on the PDC emulator on your root domain and let the Windows Time Service sync the clock internally on all the other DCs and clients.
        Are you getting any kerberos or Time events?

Additionally try the dfsutil /PurgeMupCache as suggested on the KB.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

"Are you getting any kerberos or Time events?"

Time events and very rarely kerberos

"Additionally try the dfsutil /PurgeMupCache as suggested on the KB."

Already done

Comment

Originally posted by pereubu View Post
            Time events and very rarely kerberos
            Only set the external time source on the PDC emulator and not on another DC as well and see if that makes any difference.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
            X