Active Directory Upgrade: 2000 --> 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Upgrade: 2000 --> 2008

Just want some help reviewing the steps I must take to upgrade my domain from 2000 to 2008. The 2000 domain (native mode SP4) I have today has 3 DCs. I have just installed 3 new Windows 2008 servers that will replace these. These 3 new servers are now just plain member servers.

I have a pretty good idea of what to do and in what order, but I really want some feedback. I donīt want to miss anything.

1) Run ADPREP /forestprep /domainprep and /gpprep on the Infrastructure Master.
    2) Run DCPROMO on the new servers
    3) Move FSMO roles from one of the old DCs to one of the new
    4) Demote the old DCs to member servers.

I just noticed that one of the "old" DCs acts DHCP server. Is it possible to just export and import the DHCP db?

Anything else I have to think about or maybe have missed completely?

Re: Active Directory Upgrade: 2000 --> 2008

Don't forget DNS and I'd believe you can easily move the DHCP database with netsh.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

DNS, thank you. How could I forget that one. Today DNS is AD integrated and two of the three 2000 DCs are DNS servers as well. So, how do I solve this the best way? Just bring up the 3 new DCs and let two of the also become DNS servers? But then I have to manually change DNS servers on every member server so that they donīt point at the old ones before I demote them, right?

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherStreet View Post
        But then I have to manually change DNS servers on every member server so that they donīt point at the old ones before I demote them, right?
        That is correct, if you are using new IP's you would need to update all of the member servers. There is a couple of different ways you could do it. One would be to use a GPO assigning the dns server settings, the other would be to use a batch/script with the netsh command to set in on each server. If I recall that would be the "netsh interface ip set dns" command. Do a little Google on that for the exact syntax you made need to use.

If you want to reuse the IP's from the previous domain controllers you can follow these steps: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc758579.aspx

-Jason
        Last edited by VWA4; 31st March 2009, 20:58.
        MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Working...
        X