creating a new user and home directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating a new user and home directory

Is there any way when creating a new user in Active Directory to create a user's home directory?
    This is Windows 2003 domain.
    Thanks

I'm sure you can do it but not too sure what default security / share permission it would apply.

I would be interested in knowing the answer to this
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Does anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Comment

Home directory?

You only must create one account, configure that account for standard porposes. On the user name ALWAYS put the %username% variable.

-EX: home folder \\server\%username%-

Then disable that account .
        Every account you need to create you just right click on that object account and choose copy, then you only need to change the name and password for the user. All the other options will be configured alredy
        MCSE w2k
        MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Re: creating a new user and home directory

Strange that no one have replied the standard way here.......
          This is a too easy question.

1. Create the user account.
          2. select the "Profiles" tab.
          3. Select "Home Folder", "Connect" H:\ to \\servername\home$\%username%
          4. all done.

"home$" can be any share on the server (exept the admin shares.)

Hope there are some senior member reading this... this is Course 1A.

/ Zeb.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb
            Strange that no one have replied the standard way here.......
            This is a too easy question.

1. Create the user account.
            2. select the "Profiles" tab.
            3. Select "Home Folder", "Connect" H:\ to \\servername\home$\%username%
            4. all done.

"home$" can be any share on the server (exept the admin shares.)

Hope there are some senior member reading this... this is Course 1A.

/ Zeb.
            Zeb,

Thank you for your contribution. Unfortunately questions abound and knowledgable people do not. Which is why I'm happy to see you're helping out. Keep up the good work.

Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson
              Zeb,

Thank you for your contribution. Unfortunately questions abound and knowledgable people do not. Which is why I'm happy to see you're helping out. Keep up the good work.

Hi ZEB,

This is far too easy, what I'm having problems with is on the W2k3, whenever I create the home directory I get the message "Create access denied". Obviously I opened, modified and gave full access permission to everyone. But still I can't get it to create and set permission automatically.

This is not a problem with this on W2K. Does anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks
              Cesar
              Last edited by cesar_montinola; 5th June 2006, 06:50.

Comment

You have a permission problem, most likely a SHARE Permission (as opposed to NTFS Permissions). By default in Windows 2003, SHARE permission is set t o READ ONLY. In Windows 2000 is was FULL CONTROL.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                  You have a permission problem, most likely a SHARE Permission (as opposed to NTFS Permissions). By default in Windows 2003, SHARE permission is set t o READ ONLY. In Windows 2000 is was FULL CONTROL.

Yes I know its a problem with permission. What and where should I look.

I searched Microsoft knowledgebase for "home directory" and I found the answer. FYI - add the "authenticated users group" to the permission of the shared folder etc...

By the way, permission by default, on folders of the W2k3 is NOT set to read only. It is grayed or not configured. Click on the read only check box twice to enable it. and see the difference.

Comment

SHARE permission on Windows 2003 Server is set to Read Only by default. The magic word is SHARE, not folder.

Where are user's Home Folders? Have you created a SHARE called (for example) User and have the home folders under that? It almost seems like you are trying to create the home folders from the root of the HDD and the permissions being inherited from the root Admin SHARE will not allow the home folder to be created.

What is the structure? For example at one site I have created a folder under the D: drive called Users. I have then created SHARES called Marketing, Sales, Accounts. The home folders are under the appropriate SHARE and the folders inherit their permissions from the SHARE they are under. How do you have yours setup?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                      SHARE permission on Windows 2003 Server is set to Read Only by default. The magic word is SHARE, not folder.

Where are user's Home Folders? Have you created a SHARE called (for example) User and have the home folders under that? It almost seems like you are trying to create the home folders from the root of the HDD and the permissions being inherited from the root Admin SHARE will not allow the home folder to be created.

What is the structure? For example at one site I have created a folder under the D: drive called Users. I have then created SHARES called Marketing, Sales, Accounts. The home folders are under the appropriate SHARE and the folders inherit their permissions from the SHARE they are under. How do you have yours setup?
                      Yes you were right. and Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

Just to answer your question. I created a share \\servername\users and set the share appropriate. just like what I normally do with our windows 2000 servers. The share folder is located on the d: of the said server.

Thanks
                      Last edited by cesar_montinola; 15th June 2006, 10:45.

Comment

Ok then, you have a SHARE called Users on the D: drive. The SHARE Permission has been set to Full Control. (I'm assuming this)
                        Have you added the AD Group you want to have access to EVERY folder under this SHARE to the Users SHARE (folder)?
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X