Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNS Issues with Multiple IP Addresses on a DC (Was: DNS problem with ad)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Issues with Multiple IP Addresses on a DC (Was: DNS problem with ad)

Dear All,

I have the following situation. I have a domain controller with AD installed. DNS seems to funcion OK. When performing DNS test via monitoring tab, both test return with PASS. When trying to resolve it own host name SERVER01 it resolves Ok. The Server has 2 ip configured in the IP tab. One in the 10.2.x.x series and the other one in the 192.x.x.x series. From a workstaion with 192.x.x.x IP and DNS the ip of SERVER01 i not resolve the SERVER01 name although I can ping the ip address. Also please note that when i try nslookup on SERVER01 the fist line says that it can not find the server

Can someone help as I can not join any PCs to the domain.

thanks

Thomas

Re: DNS problem with ad

AD won't be happy with two IP addresses. Is there a reason why it needs two IP addresses? Also, what DNS records do you have for the server and its services? Do hey point to two IP addresses? Are they present?

Comment

Re: DNS Issues with Multiple IP Addresses on a DC (Was: DNS problem with ad)

Let me clarify the setup.

One windows 2003 server acting as domain Controller and TS installed with 2 IPs on same NIC. 10.x.x.x series which is first ip range and 192..x.x.x which is the additional ip range. Remote clients connect using Frame relay to the central office using the 10.x.x.x series range and local PCs use the 192.x.x.x range. Since the local network uses 192.x.x.x range i want the local pcs to join the Domain. Althought I can ping the server with its IP I can not resolve its name.
      any special configuration required on DNS?

Thanks

Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by tthoma1 View Post
        Let me clarify the setup.

One windows 2003 server acting as domain Controller and TS installed with 2 IPs on same NIC. 10.x.x.x series which is first ip range and 192..x.x.x which is the additional ip range. Remote clients connect using Frame relay to the central office using the 10.x.x.x series range and local PCs use the 192.x.x.x range. Since the local network uses 192.x.x.x range i want the local pcs to join the Domain. Althought I can ping the server with its IP I can not resolve its name.
        any special configuration required on DNS?

Thanks

Thomas
        Thomas,

Not only you have multiple NICs enabled and configured on that machine that acts as DC/DNS but you also have it as a Terminal Server? And that's not a SBS box?
        That is a very bad mix from the security and functional viewpoint.
        Before suggesting anything to resolve your name resolution issues, I'd suggest you review the server role placements or go for an SBS otherwise you'll always have problems.

Ta
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Dear All,

first of all i do not have multiple nics on the server. i have one nic with 2 ips. this server is also a dc. the primary ip range is the 10.x.x.x and the secondary is the 192.x.x.x. from a client pc in the ip range of 192.x.x.x in the same location with dns pointing to the server i can not resolve host names. this is my problem. can it be that the 10.x.x.x range is the primary ip and 192.x.x.x is the secondary. How can I make the dns server on this DC to listen to 192.x.x.x ip

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Comment

I'd believe that multiple IP addresses on a DC are not supported. However can't find an article about that that quickly.

But why do you need it? You simply need to do some routing between those subnets.
            Simply use one ip address on the server.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Here's an article that explains what to do. This applies to W2K3 as well as W2K.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272294

Comment

Working...
              X