Netlogon share problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netlogon share problem

We have 40 AD servers in different sites, we are keeping the folder redirection path, mandatory profile etc in the netlogon folder with a folder name called "gpfolderredirection", but in two ADs, this folder is automatically gettting renamed such as gpfolderredirection_NTFRS_4c56e802 and gpfolderredirection_NTFRS_1cbb66d9 etc, and being replicated to all other domain controllers, that is why users are losing access to mandatory profiles, logon scripts etc. Kindly help regarding this issue.

Re: Netlogon share problem

Hmmm Netlogon isn't meant to be used as a fileshare
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Agree with Marcel. Create a share on onother server or in another folder for your redirection needs.

Comment

Agree, don't use the sysvol folders for user data.

Instead, use a DFS Namespaces, by creating a single "virtual tree" of shared folders that maps to actual (physical) shared folders located on multiple different file servers. Use the component of DFS that is called DFS Replication to replicate files from one server to another so you can maintain multiple copies in different locations of a single file - browsed and accessed easily by clients regardless of where the actual shared resources are located.
        DFS Replication is using the 'File Replication Service' (FSR)

Furthermore,
        Microsoft does not support storing roaming/mandatory profiles on shares that are replicated by using FRS and that are made offline-available. For more details on this DFS FAQ site:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ew/dfsfaq.mspx
        Search for the question "Can I use DFS with Offline Files and redirected My Documents folders?" in the paragraph called "Managing DFS."

Replicating of the contents of the SYSVOL folder between one domain controller and another is also using the 'File Replication Service' (FSR).

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Rems, thanks for the article. I was wondering this myself just last week after setting up DFSR!
          GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Working...
          X