No announcement yet.

Welcome Ossian - the new forum moderator!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Ossian - the new forum moderator!

I wish you good luck with the new position. I hope all of you readers, regulars and casuals alike, will benefit from this addition to the forum.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Good luck, Ossian.
    NT is dead. Long live AD !!!
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Thank you, Daniel, for the vote of confidence -- I hope I live up to it.

Antid0t, I would hate to say that NT is dead -- unsupported, and getting fairly long in the tooth, but still active out there, and likely to do so for some time more. AD is certainly a much better solution to system management, and overcomes many of the problems of NT4 domains, but it is still an "emerging technology" with lots of potential for development, and a few bugs still lurking there (as anyone who has tried to do emergency surgery on a domain will tell you!)

Best Wishes

Tom Jones
      ICT Consultant
      Ossian - Total Solutions
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I know... I know...

I am not managing networks for ages, but I've been poking around with NT since NT 3.5 (anyone remembers the registry key to turn NT WS into NT Server ? ).

I would not say that AD is emerging technology. Directories are there for quite a while and Novell's eDirectory is a good example.
        The networks are evolving and directories are the natural way to manage things.
        I loved NT.. Heck, some time ago I finally said goodbye to couple of servers with NT installation that survived from 1998 and it was rather an emotional moment.

But AD is here and it's time to move on. 2003 AD IMHO is already a mature and feature rich technology. It has some bugs, but I doubt there ever had been a software that big and complicated that had no bugs (and do not forget: it is Microsoft we are talking about ! )

I only tried to rephrase the well known saying:
        "The King is dead. Long live the King !"

Anyway, good luck in your new position. I will try to stick around and donate my couple of cents.

Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"