X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access shared folders when vpn tunnel fails

Hi,

I have this situation:

1. Have central location and a bunch of remote location (all are connected with central location through VPN tunnels) which are all in same active directory

2. I have 2 DC-s in central location, and secondary DNS zones in all remote locations.

3. In remote location I have an client application on workstation which use shared folder with acl's on server (to update client software). And clients also use databes on server through MSSQL authentication (don't know much about that)

4. When VPN tunnel fails, my client computers can't access shared folders, because there is no way to authenticate with DC's in central location. Client application won't work if it can't access shared folder for update...

How can I create some king of acl caching?

I do know that if I put secondary DC's in remote location, that I would solve this problem, but I didn't ment to do it this way.

Can I do this by putting global security groups in local groups on the server, or make local account on the server, and make client computers use it to access shared folder?

Any idea?

I'll try to solve this with copy of my bussines network in VMware, but I would appreciate any help.

Have a nice day

Re: Can't access shared folders when vpn tunnel fails

So you have DCs in central locations, and a server at a rmote site, with file shares on it.

client can access the shares fine while the VPN tunnel from remote site to head office is up, but once it goes down, he cannot access the shares?

I'd suggest looking at your group policies to see if logons are being cached..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If the shares are on the remote site and the client succesfully received a valid Kerberos Ticket, they should be able to continue to access the files until the Ticket runs out (10 Hrs by default).
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yes, that should be like it. Fortunately, we've found solution, so we can use these shared folders when VPN tunnel is down for a period of time.

We created local user on the server.

Then we used> net use k: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share /username:<local user> <password>
        For sure I will check is it everything OK with AD and cacheing on remote sites. If You have any idea how to do that please let me know.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X