Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re install a DC Win2K3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re install a DC Win2K3

    Hello,

    Because of multiple problems, i must reinstall a DC Win2K3.
    He is GC and he have DNS and WINS Services.
    The DNS zones are integrated to AD.

    There is only one single Active Directory Domain and 32 sites.
    There are 80 users to authenticate to this DC.
    He is the unique DC in the site.
    In the Corporation we use Microsoft Exchange 2003 server.

    Which preconizations i have to take
    Which process to set the new DC

    Thank you

    Thomas

  • #2
    Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

    Originally posted by tdbchess View Post
    Hello,

    Because of multiple problems, i must reinstall a DC Win2K3.
    He is GC and he have DNS and WINS Services.
    The DNS zones are integrated to AD.

    There is only one single Active Directory Domain and 32 sites.
    There are 80 users to authenticate to this DC.
    He is the unique DC in the site.
    In the Corporation we use Microsoft Exchange 2003 server.

    Which preconizations i have to take
    Which process to set the new DC

    Thank you

    Thomas
    Do you have any other hardware you can use or is it a case of wiping that server and starting again?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

      Hello,

      I don't have any other hardware, i must reinstall the DC (i have problems with WMI and other problems with this DC).

      Thanks

      Thomas

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

        Originally posted by tdbchess View Post
        Hello,

        I don't have any other hardware, i must reinstall the DC (i have problems with WMI and other problems with this DC).

        Thanks

        Thomas
        What's your SLA. This is going to be a big job re-installing without there being another DC on the domain. You will need to map all computers to the new domain and you will have issues with profiles etc as the GUIDs and SIDs will be different and probably plenty of others.

        First of all, make sure you backup the System State data and other data on the server.

        Personally, I would look in to getting another server in to the domain, or a PC that allows you to install Virtual PC, and make that a DC. Install it with DNS and DHCP and transfer FSMO roles to it. Make sure it hosts everything that your current server does.

        You can then set the current DHCP to a lower lease time. Then disable DHCP and enable on the other server. Don't uninstall, just disable in case you need to activate it again.

        I would test this out of hours in case you need to transfer roles back across etc.

        You can then reinstall the other box.

        Have you checked that the hardware is not faulty? I would hate for you to have a wasted effort and end up back to square one.

        If when you have joined the other DC to the domain and you have the same issues you have now, there is then the possibility of using ADMT to migrate objects to a new domain that you can create after reinstalling the current server or do that anyway when the other server is active.
        Last edited by Virtual; 13th March 2009, 12:00.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

          Hmmm why not trying to fix the problems rather then reinstalling it?
          I'd believe that most problems can be fixed.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

          MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

          "Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

            If it is the only DC in the site, but users in that site have access back to another site, (remote office back to home office, lets say) then they will just pick up a DC in the nearest site. Logons may be painfully slow.

            You don't have to have a DC in the site.

            Just need a reliable connection.

            Thanks

            Soule

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

              Originally posted by soulestream View Post
              If it is the only DC in the site, but users in that site have access back to another site, (remote office back to home office, lets say) then they will just pick up a DC in the nearest site. Logons may be painfully slow.

              You don't have to have a DC in the site.

              Just need a reliable connection.

              Thanks

              Soule
              Certainly a possibility. It will depend on how sites connect as well and whether routing is possible. It may be a hub and spoke model.

              Of course, if done out of hours, assuming the sites are on the same time zone, it may be that the server can be reinstalled and FSMO roles then transferred back.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                Originally posted by tdbchess View Post
                Hello,

                Because of multiple problems, i must reinstall a DC Win2K3.
                He is GC and he have DNS and WINS Services.
                The DNS zones are integrated to AD.

                There is only one single Active Directory Domain and 32 sites.
                There are 80 users to authenticate to this DC.
                He is the unique DC in the site.
                In the Corporation we use Microsoft Exchange 2003 server.

                Which preconizations i have to take
                Which process to set the new DC

                Thank you

                Thomas
                If I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like this is the only DC in this particular site but not the only DC in your domain.

                If this is true then I would book yourself an evenings overtime and when everyone goes home rebuild the DC on-site.

                Replication will do the rest.

                Ensure you check this DC is not holding any of the FSMO roles before you rebuild, if so then transfer them over to another DC.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                  Good point actually. He says unique DC in the site. I took that as being FSMO role holder but may mean just 1 DC.

                  Perhaps tbchess could let us know the FSMO role holder and the type of connection between sites.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                    Hi everybody,

                    This the unique DC in the site not in the tne domain.
                    The linksites are reliable, the sites are in the same country.
                    The DC have no FSMO Role, he is just GC.

                    Thanks
                    Last edited by tdbchess; 16th March 2009, 11:53.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                      Originally posted by tdbchess View Post
                      Hi everybody,

                      This the unique DC in the site not in the tne domain.
                      The linksites are reliable, the sites are in the same country.
                      The DC have no FSMO Role, he is just GC.

                      Thanks
                      What about DNS and DHCP services in the site?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                        Has no-one heard of creating a DC na virtual enviornment??

                        No need for new hardware then and all FSMO roles can be transferred across with no problems. DHCP scopes can then be copied across and DNS setup.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                          Originally posted by tdbchess View Post
                          Hi everybody,

                          This the unique DC in the site not in the tne domain.
                          The linksites are reliable, the sites are in the same country.
                          The DC have no FSMO Role, he is just GC.

                          Thanks
                          In that case Backup any DHCP server config if you have, demote the DC out of hours, reinstall windows and re-promote again.
                          Install the required services, DHCP, DNS and leave the replication do the rest.
                          How is your DNS configured, Ad integrated, replication scope??

                          Ta
                          Caesar's cipher - 3

                          ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

                          SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                            Yes, it's in post 4 below. (comment regarding Virtualisation)

                            There is no FSMO roles on the DC.
                            Last edited by Virtual; 16th March 2009, 13:02.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Re install a DC Win2K3

                              Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                              Yes, it's in post 4 below. (comment regarding Virtualisation)

                              There is no FSMO roles on the DC.
                              Missed that bit.

                              Time for bed me thinks

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X