Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External website does not resolve internally(was: Domain Name Change)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External website does not resolve internally(was: Domain Name Change)

Hi,

I recently changed the Domain Name of my client's domain from a single-label name to domain.local name. They were having many DNS issues internally along with other issues. I took on project of rebuilding the whole network from scratch since there were only 8 users and the company is on the verge of growing this summer. I wanted to make sure everything was setup to par and good practice is being implamented. They want to upgrade to Exchange 2007 and Server 2008 this summer (does not support single-label domain names).

Problem:
    Everything worked out great except for access to their website from the internel network. Their site is hosted at DiscountASP.net It is accessable externally but not internally now. I can't ping the external IP address nor the DNS PTR of isp.domain.local I called the ISP and they said I need to configure the records at DiscountASP.net The exchange server works fine; we're able to send and receive mail with no (DNS) issues.

-The website name is the same as the domain.local used for the network.
    -Their externel IP points to isp.domain.local (66.x.x.x) at DiscountASP.net
    -The webserver is located off-site and managed by a third party (23.x.x.x) and the domain.local point to it (23.x.x.x) at DiscountASP.

Basically evrything was working fine before (other than a few glitches) and now after going from single-label domain name to domain.local none of the above work. What are the things to look out for when changing from a single-label to domain.local?

Please help
    Last edited by shades; 4th March 2009, 18:23.

Re: Domain Name Change

priya12, I don't think that's what he's asking - he's talking about his Active Directory domain.

Search the forums and Google for "split dns" and you'll see that this has been answered many times before. It is not advisable to use a valid 'internet' TLD for an AD domain as this is the problem that arises.

You need to create records in your DNS zone for www and any other subdomains on the external webserver - assuming nothing internal has the same address. If you have already done this, that is not clear from you post.

Also, please take care to give topics more descriptive titles - your question isn't really about how to change a domain name.
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 29th July 2009, 11:27.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Am I right in saying your AD name is now domain.local, if so, a valid Domain name is not being used in AD.

Comment

Originally posted by shades View Post
        The website name is the same as the domain.local used for the network
        I took that to mean that he's using the website domain name for the AD domain, and that domain.local is just being used as a generic name.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          I took that to mean that he's using the website domain name for the AD domain, and that domain.local is just being used as a generic name.
          See what your saying, so domain.com or something similar.

Comment

Working...
          X