AD on my domain but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD on my domain but...

ok this is a weird one. I have two AD's, ad1 & ad2. Windows 2003 Standard Ed x64

If I bring up a command prompt on AD1, it says:
    Document & Settings\Administrator.xxx-ad2 which is wrong!

now my domain name is: mydomain.com, not xxx

If I bring up a command prompt on AD2, it says:
    Document & settings\administrator.mydomain> which is proper

I ran DCDIAG, netdiag, repadmin, & dnslint, on both DC's and they come up just fine. But I always have trouble with AD1 and I believe that it's not really on the domain properly.
    Last edited by bigalusn; 27th February 2009, 15:31. Reason: left out OS

Re: AD on my domain but...

Are they members of the same domain, so one AD domain but two DCs?

Comment

yes one AD, sorry about that.

Comment

Ensure all FSMO roles and GC and DHCP and DNS and other required services are on DC2 (your AD2).

Carry out an ASR backup and system state backup of both.

DCPROMO DC1 (your AD1) out of the domain. Restart it after. Remove it from the domain as a member server by placing it in a workgroup, make sure you set the local administrator password first so you can log back in and of course test it, and then rejoin to the domain and DCPROMO it back up.

Comment

ASR backup?

DHCP is already on AD2, so I will just have to swap some fsmo roles, and I guess DNS. Can this be done live? Meaning all my users are on the network now, or can I just schedule it for a Saturday.

Comment

I would be tempted to schedule out of hours. Is DNS AD integrated?

Comment

not sure about your last question. But DNS is on AD1, AD2 handles DHCP and now all the fmso roles & GC. I guess I'll do it after hours or on a Saturday.

what is ASR again?

Comment

Automated System Recovery - it is a disk you can create using NTBACKUP and if you aso backup system state and data backup, you can then use the ASR disks to restore the machine.

If DNS is AD integrated, it will just be the case of installing DNS on DC2 and DNS will be populated from AD. Have a look at the properties of the DC1 name in the DNS Management Console.

Comment

ok double checked on DNS, it's AD-Integrated. So now all I have to do is install DNS on AD2, correct?

Comment

Please note the following before performing any authoritative restore using ASR if the machine is the first DC in the domain: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836421

Ta
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

yeah, I figured so. Thanks for the assurance. I will create an image of AD1. That always works.

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                        Please note the following before performing any authoritative restore using ASR if the machine is the first DC in the domain: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836421

Ta
                        Good link. Does that apply even if all FSMO roles have already been moved across before taking one?

Comment

Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                          ok double checked on DNS, it's AD-Integrated. So now all I have to do is install DNS on AD2, correct?
                          That's right. Double check that DNS has been populsted as well. It may take a few minutes.

Comment

DNS was already loaded on both AD's, so right now I just have to take an image of AD1, maybe AD2...and then DCPROMO.

I figured this would take some work, so that is why I posted. Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by bigalusn View Post
                              DNS was already loaded on both AD's, so right now I just have to take an image of AD1, maybe AD2...and then DCPROMO.

I figured this would take some work, so that is why I posted. Thank you all for your input.
                              Providing all FSMO roles are on DC2 and DC2 is also a GC.

Let us know how you get on. I will be on the forum over the weekend, if you need to post again during the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X