ad - dhcp or network issue collisions on network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ad - dhcp or network issue collisions on network

Because the active directory implementation was done by somebody else. I'm wondering if there was anything implemented incorrectly.

Cause now the network is very slow. People take forever to log on their machines ever since they've been converted to active directory and their machines are running extremely slow. I also notice that the nic is a bright red color meaning lots of collisions on the network. and when i set the nic to run from dhcp. it becomes limited or no connectivity. leading me to believe the computers used to be set to static ip and which is causing lots of problems.

The network is extremely slow. People are not happy. I'd like to know what possible issue could to lead a lot of collisions on the network with active directory. thanks.

Re: ad - dhcp or network issue collisions on network

Here are some things that can cause collisions:

A faulty NIC
    A faulty driver
    Using a hub instead of a switch
    A duplex mismatch

Put a sniffer on the network and see if you can determine the source of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Here are some things that can cause collisions:

A faulty NIC
      A faulty driver
      Using a hub instead of a switch
      A duplex mismatch

Put a sniffer on the network and see if you can determine the source of the problem.
      the three possibilities you've brought up, i'm aware of. But the duplex mismatch? You mean the computer is set to Full duplex, when it should be half duplex? And how can i tell what duplex they're using on the network?

and also how do i put a sniffer on the network to determine the source that's broadcasting all the traffic?

do i just install a program on one workstation that's part of active directory and it'll tell me who on the network is broadcasting or causing traffic jams?

Comment

Duplex settings can be checked on a host machine by looking at the NIC driver properties. Generally, it will be set to auto but you can see, if there is a manual setting that has been configured.

Wth regards to Network monitoring, give this is a try.

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/d...displaylang=en

One warning though, the system this runs on will use a lot of resources, so will slow down, so beware if placing it on a server. Not that users would notice since the network is slow.

Comment

Working...
        X