No announcement yet.

DNS Problem when setting up Child Domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Problem when setting up Child Domain

I am having a slight problem with setting up DNS on my child domain. Please help out. And I cannot even get my client computers to connect to the network. who knows how I can setup DNS properly in my child domain. The error I get is listed below.

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain

The error was: "DNS server failure."
    (error code 0x0000232A RCODE_SERVER_FAILURE)

The query was for the SRV record for

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS servers used by this computer contain incorrect root hints. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones contains incorrect delegation:
    . (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

The is the DC address at the parent domain. DNS is installed on the What can I do to resolve the DNS part now, please help. I resolved the DHCP part by adding my username into the Enterprise admin and the DHCP group in AD.

Sounds like a bad DNS allright. The usual way to do this is as follows.

1. Create a DNS delegation on the root domain for the child domain.
    2. Make sure DNS is installed in the child domain.
    3. Have the DNS in the child domain forward to the root domain.
    4. In the child domain DNS, create the zone for you child domain if it does not exist. Replication scope: all DNS in the domain (assuming W2003), secure dynamic updates enabled.

If you needed to fix any of this, restart the netlogon service in the child domain to register its DNS records.

This sound great for me. Is there any way you can me the step by step process of doing this. This will go along way to help resolved this issue. Thanks for your great help.