Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two domains on the same subnet

Hi

i need to create two domains on the same subnet.
    Each domain will have a domain controller that will work also as dns and dhcp.
    what kind of problems can i have in this situation?
    i think the only problem is the dhcp because the dhcp servers will lease ip addresses on the same subnet.
    how can i solve it? configuring different scopes on the two dhcp and use dhcp classes?
    are there better solutions?

Re: Two domains on the same subnet

As far as DHCP is concerned.
    No need to worry about DHCP if it's at least a 2003 domain as it will require authorisation in AD in order to lease IP addresses.
    So you'll have to setup two different DHCP servers on each domain.

Cheers
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks for reply.
      i am wondering.
      ip is assigned when clients start up.
      clients send the request with a broadcast message so in this phase i am not sure that the clients is aware about the domain they are member.
      am i wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by marco1_79 View Post
        thanks for reply.
        i am wondering.
        ip is assigned when clients start up.
        clients send the request with a broadcast message so in this phase i am not sure that the clients is aware about the domain they are member.
        am i wrong?
        No, you are quite right there but if the win 2003 based DHCP is not Authorised in AD it will not be able to communicate back to the client.
        Any other DHCP server not based on a windows 2003 and above, will communicate without needing to be authorised and it'll lease an IP address.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Once you have setup DHCP with the way shown below, your client computers would then already been joined to the relevant domain, so they will know what domain they are a member of.

Is it going to be a Parent/child domain, separate domain trees or separate forests for each domain? As long as the clients have been given the appriate DNS entries through DHCP, they will find the appropriate DC.

Comment

Working...
          X