Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting & Depromoting DCs

Hello!

I have two DCs in my set up. My primary is a windows Server 2003 R2 and my secondary is a Windows Server 2008 x32. Now, I would like to promote my secondary to become the primary, install Windows Server 2008 on the current primary and make it a secondary.

What are the steps that I need to take to make my secondary a primary and bring the current primary to a secondary role?

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.

hx40r -

Re: Promoting & Depromoting DCs

First, go read about FSMO roles. There isn't really a thing such as a primary or a secondary DC in AD. There are DCs which can hold different FSMO roles, and in 2008 there are read-only DCs, which I don't think is what you were looking for.

You should only have to move your FSMO roles to 2008, make sure the 2008 server is a global catalog. Then you can demote the old one, rebuild it clean from scratch with 2008, and promote it again. After that, you can distribute the FSMO roles as you wish, and consider moving the domain functional level to 2008 native if desired/applicable to your situation.
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

And don't forget to also make sure the current Windows 2008 DC is also a GC.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt feedback. I truly appreciate that.
        Yes, the current Windows Server 2008 DC is a GC. I didn't set it up as a RODC. I will read about the FSMO and will get back to you if I have questions. Thank you all for your help.
        Sincerely,

hx40r -

Comment

You wouldn't be able to setup an RODC as it needs a w2k8 DC as a replication partner.

Hope it goes ok.

Comment

Hello,

After reading about the FSMOs ( Seizing, Transfering,..), I was able to transfer all the 5 FSMOs to my Windows Server 2008 DC. I didn't have a lot of issues. I followed the tutorials put together by Mr. Petri and it worked like a charm. I ran the command netdom query /domain:<mydomainname> fsmo and it returned exactly what I wanted to see: all the FSMOs are where I want them to be.

Now, I would like to know if there is anything else I need to do before demoting my Windows Server 2003 DC. Is it safe to just run dcpromo and remove the roles ?

Thank you !

Comment

Re: Promoting &amp; Depromoting DCs

Originally posted by hx40r View Post
              Hello,

After reading about the FSMOs ( Seizing, Transfering,..), I was able to transfer all the 5 FSMOs to my Windows Server 2008 DC. I didn't have a lot of issues. I followed the tutorials put together by Mr. Petri and it worked like a charm. I ran the command netdom query /domain:<mydomainname> fsmo and it returned exactly what I wanted to see: all the FSMOs are where I want them to be.

Now, I would like to know if there is anything else I need to do before demoting my Windows Server 2003 DC. Is it safe to just run dcpromo and remove the roles ?

Thank you !
              What roles are you removing?

Comment

By "roles", I meant running dcpromo and removing the Active Directory and DNS functionalities from the Windows Server 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by hx40r View Post
                  By "roles", I meant running dcpromo and removing the Active Directory and DNS functionalities from the Windows Server 2003.
                  I see. So DNS is now on the Windows 2008 server? Is it AD integrated?

I would have thought you should now be ok to DCPROMO it out. If I was you, I would power the w2k3 machine off and see what impact t has on the network. It doesn't gold any roles. Make sure that all your clients now point to the w2k8 server as DNS and you may need to change DHCP settings.

Comment

Yes, I have DNS Server ( integrated with AD) on the Windows Server 2008. I set up another DHCP Server on the box using another address pool. There is no roles on the Windows Server 2003. All my clients point to the Windows Server 2008 DC. As you suggested, I will power it down and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for your prompt feedback.

Comment

As long as you have Transfered and NOT siezed the Domina Naming Master, Rid Master, and Shema Master, you can safely demote the windows 2003 server, if you siezed those roles you must not bring the original server backonline.
                      MCSE 2003; MCTS Vista; Sec+; CCNA
                      Attitude Makes The Difference!
                      in other words you got to WANT to do it..

Comment

Super ! Thanks for your input. I transferred the 5 FSMOs so I think I'm "safe"

Comment

Hello!

Just to let you know that everything went fine for the promotion and demotion/depromotion of my DCs. Now, I have two DCs running Windows Server 2008 on HP ProLiant DL 380 G3 and G4. Both are GCs and both run DNS. I also have two DHCP servers distributing two different address ranges for redundancy. I raise both my forest and domain functional levels to level 3 ( Windows Server 200. Everything works great so far and I'm happy.

A thousand THANKS to this forum for the tremendous resources and help.

Best regards,

hx40r

Comment

Glad it was a success for you. I have this all to come.

Comment

Working...
                            X