Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are hardware and software requirements for Active Directory [Was: question]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are hardware and software requirements for Active Directory [Was: question]

i've been wondering what exactly are the system hardware requirements and any software requirements for active directory?

Most of the systems have been added to the active directory successfully with all settings migrating successfully. But i have serious issues with a few low grade systems and also some decent systems.

On some systems, it doesn't create the username.domain object in the Documents and Settings folder for me as a destination to copy to (the old profile) and i've even tried creating that object manually, but even after copying the profile to that location, it doesn't work.

I also have problms with some systems where they say a certain program like flashfile.swf is open, so i don't have the correct permissions to copy that file, so my whole profile copying fails.

i've also seen situations where i come across a netlogon process failed issue, so i can't logon to the domain at all. k

how do you unjoin a domain.

Re: question

Rayc,

Please read the forum rules and choose an appropriate title.

'Question' is not a suitable title.

Reported to AD mod for changing.

Comment

Re: What are hardware and software requirements for Active Directory [Was: question]

Originally posted by rayc
      But i have serious issues with a few low grade systems and also some decent systems.
      What do you define as a low grade and a decent system? (do you mean Servers or Workstations)

On some systems, it doesn't create the username.domain object in the Documents and Settings folder for me as a destination to copy to (the old profile) and i've even tried creating that object manually, but even after copying the profile to that location, it doesn't work.
      Assuming this is a workstation you are referring to, has it been joined to the Domain?

how do you unjoin a domain
      This is what comes up with as an answer to your question.
      http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

I would suggest rephrasing it so we will know exactly what you are trying to ask.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: What are hardware and software requirements for Active Directory [Was: question]

Do you mean the server?
        If so, very low -- a domain controller in a small (< 100 clients) domain will run on any reasonable P4 or even P3 with 512Mb RAM)

Or do you mean the client -- no special requirements here, just able to run the client OS adequately and have a network card
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

"Planning Domain Controller Capacity"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc738079.aspx
          VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Quote:
            Originally Posted by rayc
            But i have serious issues with a few low grade systems and also some decent systems.

What do you define as a low grade and a decent system? (do you mean Servers or Workstations)

i was talking workstations. they're dell. they have a P4 processor. But the low grade ones have like 256 mb of ram. they were ridiculously slow.

Quote:

Assuming this is a workstation you are referring to, has it been joined to the Domain?

yes, it it's joined to the domain. i'm just not seeing that object that you normally after rebooting.

Quote:
            how do you unjoin a domain

This is what comes up with as an answer to your question.
            http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

I would suggest rephrasing it so we will know exactly what you are trying to ask.

thanks for the google link.

know anything about that netlogon problem after it's joined to the domain. i couldn't find much on it on google.

Comment

Working...
            X